Why is 1Password syncing? [New item > New file > Dropbox starts syncing]

Nickolas
Nickolas
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

I noticed if I click "New Item > Login" from within the 1Password client that my Dropbox starts to Sync. Shouldn't this happen after I've clicked save?

Comments

• @Nickolas - this is expected behavior. As soon as you select to add a new record this will be synced to Dropbox. Space is allocated as soon as you add.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas
    Community Member

Why though? What if you don't click save and click cancel instead?

• @NickolasF - I don't know the in depth technical detail here, but if you then Cancel out of adding this new record the space allocated is then deleted. I think @svondutch might be able to explain this in more detail.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

What if you don't click save and click cancel instead?

@Nickolas Then 1Password should remove the item from Dropbox. /cc @LauraR

• MikeT
    edited April 2015

Hi @Nickolas,

To speed up the process, we create a new encrypted file the moment you tell 1Password that you're about to create an item. One thing to keep in mind is that we do not trigger or cause the sync on your PCs, Dropbox does this automatically when it sees a file event in its folder and since 1Password directly writes to your 1Password folder stored in the Dropbox folder, Dropbox starts reacting to it.

So, it's like this:

1. Create a new item, a new file is created in the 1Password folder that is in the Dropbox folder
    2. Windows tell Dropbox that a new file was created in its folder
    3. Dropbox reacts by syncing that file to the cloud

As Stefan mentioned, if you decide to cancel it, we simply delete the encrypted file and that will cause a file event in your 1Password folder inside Dropbox, which Dropbox will react by syncing the deletion event to other devices.

This discussion has been closed.