Small font size not available [1Password scales font based on system setting]

evrgrn
evrgrn
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Okay so it is now April 2015 and still no option to control the font size or the font used? What gives? I saw this feature was requested at least several times throughout the few years, but, it still has not been solved or built into the app yet for Windows. Why? Why does AgileBits ignore this much requested feature? I realize everyone thinks their suggestions are equally important but when it comes down to a basic flaw in usability this is a real problem that needs a solution ASAP. 1Password is a solid performing application on many OS platforms but the inability to change the font size or at least the type is forcing me to consider using another application to manage my passwords. A huge font is not necessary but at least 11 points or above. Right now the font size is in the 6-8 point range. Really? WAY too small. Come on AgileBits. Let's get moving on this feature and stop talking about "we are considering it."

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@evrgrn On Windows, the OS itself is responsible for the font size. You can change it in your Control Panel. 1Password respects your display preferences as much as possible.

• evrgrn
    evrgrn
    Community Member

Thank you for the reply and suggestion. Yes that is true but if I do that it makes all the other font settings in any other application I use look really goofy. So again, why does AgileBits use such a tiny default font? This is not a good solution.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@evrgrn We do not use "such a tiny default font". We do use the system font size. You can configure this in your Control Panel.

I'm a firm believer of following (not overriding) the system's display settings. If we wouldn't then our product would be unusable for those who are visually impaired.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm a firm believer of following (not overriding) the system's display settings. If we wouldn't then our product would be unusable for those who are visually impaired.

@svondutch: Amen.

@evrgrn: Which version of Windows are you using? I've found that scaling in general is pretty weird on Windows, but Microsoft seems to be making this a bit more sane with Windows 8 and 10.

Not all applications play well with scaling, but I've found 1Password to be one of the better stewards in this regard (high DPI notwithstanding). I've had the most trouble personally with other apps scaling the font with the UI but not the boxes the text is meant to fit in. Crazy. It's much worse in my experience on Windows XP through 7, but still present on Windows 8 and 10 when programmers don't account for scaling at all by locking down UI elements to predefined sizes.

I'd be interested to hear more about your setup as well as screenshots of what you're referring to. This stuff drives me nuts too. ;)

• VK1
    VK1
    Community Member

I totally agree with evrgrn, the font size and the icons are way to small, the 1PW looks much better on OSX and I believe there are just as many Win users as there are OSX users. I also think you could have 3 times more Windows users if you make the design more appealing (Logos and fonts larger would be a good step). Take a look at 1PW on a 30 inch monitor with a 2560*1600 resolution and you know what I am taking about.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@VK1: Thanks for the feedback! Display is definitely something we'll be working on as we develop 1Password going forward, especially as Windows 10 has improved scaling support and XP is out of the picture. :)

• Hi guys,

Hi-DPI scaling is something that requires a big change to 1Password and it is something we will fix. If you're seeing fuzzy fonts, please read this support article on how to fix that; https://support.1password.com/win-high-dpi/

This discussion has been closed.