Update doesn't work (because of security policy)

We have a windows policy in our domain that block software execution from appdata/temp directory.
This is a security policy.
I realize today that 1password autoupdate fail with no warning because of this policy. I get a notice of a new version, the new version is downloaded in /user/appdata/temp and then nothing happen.
The funny thing is that 1password autoupdater think the update success because it don't show anymore that version of 1p but only new version that eventually come out.

Now i think i can simply download and run the exe from desktop to solve the problem. Nevertheless the fact that i get no warning of failed update is a bug for sure, as the fact the updater think all is going good.

Comments

• Hi @S.Malacarne,

Thanks so much for letting us know. We'll investigate to see if we can reproduce this and improve our updater to make sure it has write + execute permission to the temp folder before it proceeds. If it doesn't, it should let the user know like you correctly expected.

• Hi @S.Malacarne,

I just tried to reproduce this and I can't. Here's what I got when I locked my %TEMP% folder:

Can you tell me which version of Windows you're using? It might react differently on a different Windows version.

• S.Malacarne
    S.Malacarne
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

Sure @MikeT, i use windows 7 64 bit
    The policy we are using on our domain is this:
    Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Software Restriction Policies
    Setting as disallowed:
    %AppData%*.exe
    %LocalAppData%*.exe
    %AppData%**.exe
    %LocalAppData%**.exe
    %LocalAppData%\Temp\Rar*.exe
    %LocalAppData%\Temp\7z
    *.exe
    %LocalAppData%\Temp\wz**.exe
    %LocalAppData%\Temp*.zip*.exe

In my case file creation is allowed, only execution is limited.

This is the message i get in the log (only in the log because i dont get any warning for failed installation)

Access to C:\Users\simo\AppData\Local\Temp\1Password-4.2.0.548.exe has been restricted by your Administrator by location with policy rule {8fe3c256-f4bb-450f-ba8a-0f320e8cea6f} placed on path C:\Users\simo\AppData\Local**.exe.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

In my case file creation is allowed, only execution is limited.

@S.Malacarne: Ah, that explains why MikeT is getting the error and you are not. I will bring this up with the development team to see if they can check for execution privileges in addition to read/write and let the user know. Thank you for bringing this to our attention! :)

ref: OPW-376

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@S.Malacarne: We have made changes in the latest versions (starting with 4.3.2.564) to improve this, and would really appreciate it if you could try it and let us know if that works better for you. Thanks! :)

• S.Malacarne
    S.Malacarne
    Community Member

ops, sorry for late reply.
    Things works now. If i try to start the update the install program fail with an error pointing me to download link.
    ty

• MikeT
    edited September 2015

We're glad to hear that, thanks for taking the time to update us on this.

On behalf of the team here, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.