1Password filling on DirecTV: [Use Auto-Type for now, the site isn't designed well for filling]

jcat
jcat
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I cannot get 1password to work with the Directv site, which is baffling me. From the main site (http://www.directv.com/), the login window is a dropdown/popup from the "Sign in/register/My Account" option in the top right, and password population doesn't work at all. But if you click that sign in/register/My Account menu button, a login screen appears. And from this screen, I cannot get 1password to save the login, either automatically or manually (using the Settings/Save New Login option in the extension). And if I manually enter the website and login info into 1password, still no recognition of the login and password fields on that page.

This seems like a fairly straightforward page, not a bank or a multiscreen login. I've tried everything I can think of, all the tricks I usually use when I can't at first get 1password to work, but I'm coming up blank. Am I doing something wrong, missing something, or is there something strange about the interaction of this page with 1password? I'm using 4.3.1.560.

Thanks!

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2015

Hi @jcat,

You're not doing anything wrong, the way they designed the fields is ...needlessly complex to say it politely. Not to mention they're loading insecure content on a secured page, meaning they did it wrong and it cannot be considered a secure page.

I can't get it to fill in either on my side for any browsers. Luckily, you can work around it by using Auto-Type for now. To do this:

1. Open the main 1Password application, go to Logins, and find your DirecTV item
    2. Edit the item, go to the Auto-type setting and check Use Auto-Type in web browser
    3. Save it

Now, it should work for you. Let me know if it does or doesn't.

• jcat
    jcat
    Community Member

No, it's still not working for me, in either Chrome or Firefox. I've tried it both from a directv login page that I already had open, and also opening the page from the 1password extension (which went to the same login page - just testing to make sure I'd saved the item correctly in 1password). I tried in both the id/password fields, the one on the main page and the dropdown one. But I'm getting nothing - when I click ctrl-\, the extension context menu appears. I've checked and double checked to be sure "Use Auto-type in web browser" is selected and saved, and it is.

Am I doing something wrong? What an aggravating site!

• MikeT
    edited April 2015

No, you're not doing anything wrong, the site is just stubborn.

Can you check IE to see if it works?

Can you tell me which version of Windows and browsers you're using, so I can test this more specifically to your setup.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@jcat Auto-Type should work on this page, provided the input focus is in the username/email field. /cc @MikeT

• jcat
    jcat
    Community Member

1password with autotype is now working for me in IE and Chrome - and eventually, with patience, in Firefox (37.0.1 with extension 4.3.1). The problem appears to have been that the last 2-3% of the directv page login takes about 4-5 minutes to fully load in firefox, with the loading progress bar reaching almost but not quite the end and then sitting there with the tab spinning, seemingly into eternity. I eventually realized that if I try 1password with it still loading like that (which I had been doing), ctrl-\ just brings up the menu (even with the input/focus in the username/email field) - but if I wait long enough, the page does eventually fully load, and at that point, with autotype enabled, ctrl-\ does work.

This doesn't happen in IE or Chrome, and 1password (with autotype) works correctly in those; if I load the page from the 1password extension menu, the fields are filled in automatically for me (this did not happen with Firefox).

Bizarrely, if I log out and then try to log back in, suddenly I'm no longer on a secure page, whereas the original login page was a secure page, so I had to rejig 1password to allow me to log in from either (I guess that's kind of what you were referring to in your first response?)

Not 100% ideal, since mostly I use Firefox, but it's workable, and clearly it's the fault of the bizarre and quirky page and not 1password! Thanks for all your help!

• MikeT
    edited April 2015

Hi @jcat,

Thanks for letting us know, I'm glad you got it figured out. The Control + \ does need to see login fields, it's a part of the optimization we do to ensure we don't fill onto a site that has nothing to fill into. So, if you try to invoke 1Password on a site with no open fields, we skip the fill and brings up the menu because we think you might want the menu instead.

On behalf of the team here, you're welcome.

• Oh by the way, one thing you can do is get in touch with them about improving their login process. You can send them this page from us on how to improve the accessibility of their page: https://support.1password.com/compatible-website-design/

This discussion has been closed.