Changing record type without re-entering data?

gunhoe
gunhoe
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
I had a lot of items in SplashID that were filed as Email Accts. But, when imported into 1Password, they were imported into a Folder with the same name. How do I move these to the 1Password's Accounts Vault?

Would I need to renter them into the Accounts Vault?

I can re-import the data but what type should these data be filed as if they are to be entered as Accounts in 1Password?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    gunhoe, welcome to the forum!

Just from the text in the Import Assistant, it looks like all the imported records in your SpashID CSV might be going into the Logins vault.

Note that vaults are based on the item's type (login, account, identity, software, and so on). They completely different from folders, which you can create as needed and move items between as you like.

If the imported items are in the wrong vault, though, you will have to recreate them in the correct vault, as 1Password doesn't include the capability to change an item's type.

Sorry I don't have a more satisfying answer for you.
  • gunhoe
    gunhoe
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks, DBrown. I did end up re-creating the records in the approporiate vaults. I like the ability to organize the records in the folders based on domain.
  • I have imported records into 1Pass that are appearing as the wrong type. How do you change types? For instance, if an item is imported as a secure note but is an account I can change that (without retyping everything).
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi Crow,

Welcome to the forums! I have merged your post with this thread. I hope there is some clarification above. 1Password treats vault types the same way iTunes treats library types (music, movies, podcasts, etc.). It is not currently possible to move an item from one vault to another. Copy and paste can speed up the procedure, but I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this time.
  • khad wrote:

Hi Crow,

Welcome to the forums! I have merged your post with this thread. I hope there is some clarification above. 1Password treats vault types the same way iTunes treats library types (music, movies, podcasts, etc.). It is not currently possible to move an item from one vault to another. Copy and paste can speed up the procedure, but I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this time.

Thanks you very much (answer/merge). What is the difference between a login and an account anyway, is it more than semantics? e.g. I have a twitter ACCOUNT I use to LOGIN to twitter?
  • stu wrote:

Crow,

On Khad's behalf, you're very welcome. I'll try to explain the difference between a 'Login' item and an 'Account' item when it comes to 1Password.

A 'Login' is for any account details, like your Twitter account, that can be filled in a web form, in this case the Twitter login form. So, for example, you'd have 'Login' items for Twitter, Facebook, this forum, your online banking etc.

An 'Account' item within 1Password is for details that aren't filled in a web form, for example iTunes details (although Apple do use the Apple ID across many sites), server accounts, FTP details, non-web based e-mail accounts. While there may be some duplication of 'Login' items in this category, these are generally used to store more detailed information about the account, for example the 'Email Account' template also contains fields for the incoming and outgoing server details.

Hope that makes sense,

Got it, that makes sense, thanks very much.
  • gunhoe wrote:

Thanks, DBrown. I did end up re-creating the records in the approporiate vaults. I like the ability to organize the records in the folders based on domain.

How did you create the appropriate vaults? I'm transferring approximately 800 entries from minisafe and am editing a CSV file in Excel. but didn't see a column to delineate a vault.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, ohament.

Unfortunately, 1Password for Mac will only import entries as Logins (with a URL) or Secure Notes (without a URL) at this time. (There is also a way to import Software Licenses.)

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this time, but I hope that helps clarify the situation.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
  • Adrian B
    Adrian B
    Community Member
    I'd love to see some way to convert between different vault item types. I have a lot of imported logins from PasswordWallet that are secure notes right now.

I understand that it would be quite complicated to make a good conversion tool, but I would be happy if I could just convert a secure note to a login and everything in that note would be added to the notes field in the login item. Then I could manually copy and paste to the correct fields.
This discussion has been closed.