Why not OneDrive instead of DropBox [OneDrive support is added]

Options
eduguedes
eduguedes
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Every user of Windows Phone has by default a OneDrive account, so why not make use of it instead of waiting (and enforce) the user to sign another cloud storage service?

Comments

• aaronpowell
    aaronpowell
    Community Member
    Options

OneDrive appears to be in development, or at least on the roadmap, as it appears on the Manage Vault screen.

If it goes OneDrive then supporting OneDrive syncing with 1P4W would be really nice (but I guess I can just set a custom keychain location),

• As @aaronpowell mentioned it is on the road map for 1Password for Windows Modern.

Hopefully our wonderful devs will have OneDrive support built in very soon :)

• Rangeball
    Rangeball
    Community Member
    Options

Aye, OneDrive support would be awesome. Can't come soon enough!

• ejg930
    ejg930
    Community Member
    Options

Can't overstate how excited I am to see OneDrive support coming in. Now I can finally ditch Dropbox (once it makes it to the rest of the apps) :)

• MacLifeGR
    MacLifeGR
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, especially if you have an office 365 subscription, OneDrive gives you 1TB for free... no need to keep dropbox around anymore! ;-)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your enthusiasm, folks!

• ChryxD
    ChryxD
    Community Member
    Options

Is it possible to add iCloud as well? If you want to sync from a Mac via Cloud Storage than iCloud would be the first choice...

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'll check with Dev, @ChryxD. It probably depends on what level of support for iCloud is available to Windows Modern apps.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Fast reply from Dev is that "there is no iCloud support for web apps, Windows Phone, and Windows RT (modern)" provided by Apple.

Sorry, @ChryxD. :/

• ChryxD
    ChryxD
    Community Member
    Options

Doesn't matter; was just an intention cause I am Mac user so that would have been useful for others. I myself prefer WiFi-Sync...

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

OK—thanks!

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

If you are Windows only, then Onedrive is fine. If, like me, you have iOS, Mac and Windows, then Dropbox is best. Onedrive doesn't support some Mac characters in file names, doesn't support Mac labels and a few other 'gotchas'. So the only true cross platform is Dropbox.

• We are using both now :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We agree that Dropbox is a great cross-platform sync tool—we've been including Dropbox support in our desktop and mobile software for years!

For folks who are already using OneDrive and don't want to add Dropbox, we've just released an update that includes OneDrive syncing.

Everybody wins! :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Is it coming to 1Password for Windows too or are you using the Modern Alpha to shake out the bugs?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

@RichardPayne, please check the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide and knowledgebase. I know I documented how to use it with OneDrive in one or the other of those documents.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I meant direct support using the API or are desktop clients planning to stick with requiring the Dropbox/OneDrive/GoogleDrive software to be installed?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I haven't heard anything about GoogleDrive on any platform, and I haven't heard anything about changing the way the existing products use any of the currently supported sync mechanisms.

That just means that I haven't heard anything about those subjects, though. There could be all kinds of stuff happening that I don't know about. :D

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Fair enough. I'd expect that, especially on the Windows platform, that you should be able to re-use the code and, if not, the experience with the Cloud APIs on the normal clients.
    It is quite a common complaint that 1Password requires a Cloud client install.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password for Windows is different from the other products in the 1Password family, in that it uses the filesystem folder as the actual database. The other products have internal databases, which makes it more appropriate for them to interact with Dropbox and similar services directly.

This discussion has been closed.