Old 1Password Chrome extension keeps re-installing itself on Windows [Issue caused by Chrome Sync]

Options
RustyForeman
RustyForeman
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am using 1Password version 4.1.0.538 and 1Password Chrome extension 4.3.1.90 on Windows 7.
But 1Password Chrome extension version 3.9.21.90 keeps re-installing itself each time I launch Chrome even though I have repeated removed the old extension from the browser.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RustyForeman I'm guessing you have Chrome Sync turned on, and Chrome is syncing your extensions.

Here's how to disable Chrome Sync for your extensions:

1. Open Google Chrome.
    2. Click on the wrench icon, located in the top-right corner in the browser toolbar.
    3. Click on "Settings".
    4. If you see a "Sign in to Chrome" button, then Chrome Sync is already disabled.
    5. Click on "Advanced Sync Settings".
    6. In the "Advanced Sync Settings" pop-up window, select the drop down menu and select "Choose What To Sync".
    7. Uncheck "Extensions".
    8. Click on "OK".
  • Irakli
    Irakli
    Community Member
    Options

Using chrome ext # 3.9.21.90.
    When I follow instructions nothing changed.

I Have the same issue. Else when I try unlock using master pass it starts process to update items and not stop.

Could you give idea how can I fix promlem?

• RustyForeman
    RustyForeman
    Community Member
    Options

svondutch, I suspect your recommendation would solve the problem if Chrome would cooperate. I tried unchecking the extensions sync, but once I exit Chrome and relaunch Chrome turns the sync extensions back on and problem comes back. I have even tried uninstalling Chrome and re-installing. No luck.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RustyForeman Have you tried turning off Chome Sync altogether? Alternatively, you might want to create a new Chrome proile and try again. Thanks!

• AlexHoffmann
    edited April 2015
    Options

If Chrome extension has been turned off completely like svondutch recommended but the problem persists, you could try to

1. Enable developer mode in the Chrome extension settings,
    2. Close Chrome and relaunch it,
    3. Open chrome://extensions/ again,
    4. Check the file ID and data location of the 1Password 3.9.21.90 extension,
    5. Close Chrome,
    6. Delete the two folders,
    7. Open Chrome and the chrome://extensions/ settings again,
    8. Click the trash button to remove the extension,
    9. Disable developer mode again.

That all being said: This shouldn't even be necessary if extension sync has been properly disabled. It's a weird behaviour and not something caused by 1Password or the 1Password extension itself.

ref: WFK-81995-881

This discussion has been closed.