Commercial fingerprint readers [1Password does not support fingerprint readers at the moment]

Options
FleaLoader
FleaLoader
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Will 1Password work with usb fingerprint readers. They all seem to mention Roboform. Is there one in particular....I am totally spoiled now with the fingerprint function for 1Password on my iPhones and would like that convenience on our computers but I hate the Roboform interface.

Comments

• LauraR
    Options

@FleaLoader - I have an integrated fingerprint reader on a fairly old Windows PC and love it, but unfortunately 1Password does not work with any fingerprint readers on Windows PCs.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @FleaLoader,

We used to have a partnership with a vendor to integrate 1Password in their fingerprint reader in the past but it didn't work out.

We'd like to enable support for it but we don't have any plans to do this at the moment. It is possible that the upcoming Windows Hello feature in Windows 10 might give us an API to enable the support but only if they provide a secure centralized place to store your master password in.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

Here is the problem with fingerprint readers (and other biometrics, such as face recognition):

1. The scan always comes back with slightly different data. Then there is software then will tell us whether or not the scan matches an earlier made model. We cannot use either of them as your encryption key because the scan isn't consistent, and the model is stored somewhere on your drive.
    2. Let's assume we can somehow overcome problem #1 then you do not want to replace your master password with biometrics. The feds are in love with face recognition because after they arrest you, they then point the screen at your face. While biometrics are great as a 2nd factor, they should never be your only factor. You should always combine biometrics with "something you know", which brings us back to your master password.
This discussion has been closed.