Biometric Support for Windows? [1Password does not support biometric auth]

Options
Weboh
Weboh
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I see in the about pages that this has support for touch ID, but I can't find any information here on Windows Biometric support. Will the fingerprint reader on my computer work with this?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Weboh: Sorry for the confusion! Currently the only biometrics 1Password supports is Touch ID on iOS, though we may support others in the future if they gain wider adoption and have similarly robust security.

Thanks for letting us know you'd be interested in us adding something like this to 1Password for Windows in the future! :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

Here is the problem with fingerprint readers (and other biometrics, such as face recognition):

1. The scan always comes back with slightly different data. Then there is software that will tell us whether or not the scan matches an earlier made model. We cannot use either of them as your encryption key because the scan isn't consistent, and the model is stored somewhere on your drive.
    2. On your iPhone, we can store your master password in iOS keychain and then unlock this with your fingerprint. On Windows, I do not believe there is a safe equivalent, and that is why I'm a strong believer of not storing your master password anywhere.
    3. Let's assume we can somehow overcome problems #1 and #2 then you do not want to replace your master password with biometrics. The feds are in love with face recognition because after they arrest you, they then point the screen at your face. While biometrics are great as a 2nd factor, they should never be your only factor. You should always combine biometrics with "something you know", which brings us back to your master password.
This discussion has been closed.