Can 1Password support auto-typing in the command prompt windows? [Yes]

mtissington
mtissington
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Is it possible to make 1password auto type (or even paste) into a dos (cmd) window?

Comments

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member

i should be a little more specific - on Windows 8.1 with the latest beta version of 1Password paste and auto type into a dos window does not work.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Yes, Auto-Type should work in the command prompt.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member

seems to be related to an admin prompt?

• MikeT
    edited May 2015

Hi @mtissington,

Can you explain more, I'm not sure what you mean. If you can give us more information on what you're trying to do and how, we can try to reproduce it.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member

i have a dos window open that prompts for user input (id and password).
    if the dos window is NON admin then user input is accepted from 1Password auto-type (however the dos window needs to be admin).
    If I open the dos window with run as administrator then auto-type does not work.

You can repro this from a regular dos prompt with and without run as admin ...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

@mtissington: Sorry for the confusion. You are correct: you can use Auto-Type to have 1Password fill your login information into a command prompt, but it will of course only have the privileges of the user account you're logged into.

So, for example, if you're logged in as a 'regular' user and elevate the command prompt to have admin privileges, 1Password still doesn't and won't be able to fill there. In that case, you can copy and paste information yourself.. I hope this helps! :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Interesting. I didn't realise that a non-elevated process could not send Windows messages to an elevated process.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I didn't realise that a non-elevated process could not send Windows messages to an elevated process.

@RichardPayne I'm glad it doesn't. Think about the security implications. A non-elevated could give an elevated process instructions, hereby bypassing it's own limitations. The horror.

This discussion has been closed.