Application Login, improve 1Password's ability to track via titles instead of Windows class[Planned]

ggsm
ggsm
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

I'm writing a Windows application and like to have support to login using 1Password.
I know the article about how to create an none browser based application login using 1Password and I got it working, but it is far away from being perfect.

Problems:

• The application is based on Eclipse/SWT and I don't have a chance to change the window name or class name.
    In 1Password the URL is called "SWT_Window0" so the login may conflict with all other applications based on the same framework.

• The login is not only passed to the login dialog. It will be filled everywhere into my application when pressing the ctrl + # shortcut. So when pressing the shortcut accidentally the password will placed into an none password text box (and can be seen).

Is there any chance to improve the 1Password integration? Would it be possible for you to read the window title and limit the password insertion?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ggsm: Thanks for getting in touch! I'm sorry for the trouble.

The application is based on Eclipse/SWT and I don't have a chance to change the window name or class name.

Auto-Type simply automates typing the username, tabbing to the next field, and then typing the password; it doesn't have the ability to interact with UI controls.

In 1Password the URL is called "SWT_Window0" so the login may conflict with all other applications based on the same framework.

This may be true, but unfortunately 1Password isn't able to make developers give their windows more descriptive names. :(

We may be able to improve this in the future, but it depends entirely on the Windows frameworks, as we don't want to do anything that will interfere with your other software or cause accessibility issues. More to the point, few users are on the latest versions of Windows, so we have to take backward compatibility into account. Thanks for the feedback. We will see what we can do to expand Auto-Type in the future! :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

You get the same problem with VB6 apps where the forms all have the same class (ThunderRT6main).

This may be true, but unfortunately 1Password isn't able to make developers give their windows more descriptive names.

No, but it could give the user the option of using Window class, Window title or both for each saved login.

• Hi @RichardPayne,

You get the same problem with VB6 apps where the forms all have the same class (ThunderRT6main).

Yep, I suspect it is a common problem in almost all libraries. We even see several programs with the same ID, something like #37000. We have to come up with a different way to track windows and that's in the plans.

No, but it could give the user the option of using Window class, Window title or both for each saved login.

We can get the titles as you'd see it when you press the Auto-Type button, would be interesting to see if we can expand on that.

• ggsm
    ggsm
    Community Member

Using the window title would be great!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Window title has its own problems, the biggest of which being that they are not always static. That's why I suggested giving the user the choice of how to identify each login.

• MikeT
    edited May 2015

Hi guys,

Window title has its own problems, the biggest of which being that they are not always static. That's why I suggested giving the user the choice of how to identify each login.

Yep, there isn't a clear solution yet. As you said, windows titles can change dynamically, they'd include the account names, dates, and so on.

We have to play around to find the best solution. My concern is the UI, showing three different options for the same thing isn't exactly friendly unless we include Clippy and have him pop up asking "I see you are trying to create a Login for your application, can I help?".

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

windows titles can change dynamically, they'd include the account names, dates, and so on.

@MikeT Not to mention they can be localized. /cc @RichardPayne

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Not to mention they can be localized

I might be wrong but I'd have thought that most of the time a user won't be using the same application with two different locales set.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

@RichardPayne: It certainly isn't common, but I know I've helped folks who were having some problems or confusion due to changing localization settings, either in 1Password or in Windows. And it seems that it's even more common to have different settings for both.

I think the point svondutch is making is that someone may save their login while set to one locale (such as English, if 1Password doesn't support theirs yet), and then the app login will break if they switch later on.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Fair play, although I really don't understand why you'd switch locale. Keyboard switching sure, but locale seems an odd one to change regularly. Each to their own I suppose.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I won't pretend to understand. It probably makes more sense for someone -- not me -- who travels or is multilingual/multinational. I'm pretty boring. ;)

This discussion has been closed.