1password helper slows down 3D Studio MAX [Auto-lock mouse hook issue, investigating]

Andrew34
Andrew34
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi!
I have a weird problem with the 1password helper on my home computer.
I have a late 2013 27" Imac that i have installed Bootcamp with Windows 8.1. I use Autodesk 3D Studio MAX 2016 in my work and i have a home license.
The problem is when 1password-helper is running in the tray (in windows) the viewport speed i 3dsmax is really slow. The 1password helper isn't using any cpu but somehow this is interfering with 3dsmax. When i kill the helper from activity monitor the viewport speed is back to normal.

The only thing i have found is that if i enable auto-hide of the taskbar the viewport speed goes up (back to normal) after a while.
So could it be some weird "screen update" of the tray icon?

I don't have this problem on my work computer (a standard i7 4770 windows 8.1 PC).

/Andrew

Comments

• @Andrew34 - We think this might be a problem with the keyboard hook and you can disable this by deleting the Login keyboard shortcut. To do this -

• Run 1Password.
    • Select Preferences, Logins.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks!

• Andrew34
    Andrew34
    Community Member

Thank you for getting back to me.
    I checked the "Login keyboard shortcut" on my computer and it was saying "None", so i didn't have any keyboard shortcut set.
    I also tried to disable the tray icon, but the problem still exists.
    The weird thing is that it works great on my computer at work, but not on my computer at home.

/Andrew

• Hi @Andrew34,

That certainly is weird.

The reason we ask about the keyboard shortcut is that it adds a system hook to Windows and in rare cases, it can cause the system to slow down. It looks like it is not related at all.

I am a little confused as how hiding the toolbar helped but not disabling the icon. How did you turn it off, by configuring 1Password to not minimize itself to the notification area?

Does it matter if 1Password is locked or unlocked?

If it happens again, can you open the main 1Password program, go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper, does that restore the performance in Autodesk?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@Andrew34 There is one more thing I would like you to try. Can you please turn off Auto-Lock here?

File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Security

Turning off this feature will prevent a global mouse hook from getting installed by the agent/helper.

• Andrew34
    Andrew34
    Community Member

Hi!
    I just turned off all the Auto-Lock features, and success!
    No more lag in the viewport. Thank you for helping me out.

/Andrew

• MikeT
    edited May 2015

Hi @Andrew34,

On behalf of Stefan, you're welcome.

While it is technically fixed for you, the Auto-lock feature is important to have. I'm still not sure why it works on your work PC.

Can you confirm, when you get back to work, that the work PC has auto-lock features turned on?

Also, can you tell me what kind of mouse you're using and if you're using the default Windows drivers or you've installed the software from the mouse vendor.

This discussion has been closed.