sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • MyITGuy
    MyITGuy
    Community Member
    Options

While Folders is a good option for a one-to-one linking scenario, but it lacks both security and multi-linking flexibility.

Touching on flexibility; Objects, such as Identities, Credit Cards, and Social Security numbers have a wide range of linking that can, and should, be made available.

As an example, say a person uses two web sites; Amazon and AgileBits. Both sites use Credit Card 1 and Identity 1. In a folder scenario, each object could only be assigned to one Folder. If it was attached to Amazon, it can not be attached to Identity 1. Conversely, if the product supported object linking, any object could be linked to any object. In an object linking scenario, Credit Card 1 and Identity 1 can be linked to multiple objects, such as Amazon and AgileBits.

A real-world scenario, linking a credit card to multiple sites, it could be possible to locate all sites utilizing a given credit card that may have been compromised. This would allow the consumer to take action.

Touching on security; direct linking is more secure than creating new objects, such as tags and folders, and attaching objects there. Not that the product is at this level, but if I were looking at a folder it would contain many items. Possibly items I don't need to see. But if the object was linked to another object, I would be viewing just the one object, seeing the link, and nothing else. As I stated, this would be more of a scenario when allowing multiple persons to access given items, but could also be the same issue when the items are just visible on my screen by others.

I would really like to see object linking in the product. Just my $.02.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MyITGuy,

Thanks so much for providing your feedback here. I would just like to touch on something that you said.

In a folder scenario, each object could only be assigned to one Folder. If it was attached to Amazon, it can not be attached to Identity 1.

Using Tags and Smart Folders allows one item to be in multiple folders at the same time. :) In the scenario you mention, you could tag your Amazon Login with a 'Credit Card 1' and an 'Identity 1' and then create a Smart Folder to see all Logins with the 'Credit Card 1' tag, and another for the 'Identity 1' tag.

• MyITGuy
    MyITGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Megan,

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the workaround and will use it until a solution can be implemented; hopefully within this product.

I guess I was looking more for a permanent solution that doesn't require additional management on the part of the user, such as creating and managing tags and smart folders. To me (yes, I'm a user), the objects are already there; secure note, credit card, SSN. They just need to have the ability to directly link them to another object.

Another example, might be linking an Identity to a SSN or Credit Card. The scenarios are endless. Plus, more objects could be added later that users could link to other data, such as addresses, phone numbers, or other assets.

I'm rambling now :). Hopefully you can understand my point. It's really not a big deal, just thought it would be an extensible solution.

Cheers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MyITGuy,

I'm not quite sure I see much of a difference in management between linking and tagging: in either case you have to manually update each entry, either with appropriate tags or links. However, as a girl with a slight case of organizational OCD, I'm happy to pass along this feature request to our developers. The more ways to keep things organized, the better :)

This discussion has been closed.