Feature request: another cloud services [Planned]

nochnoy
nochnoy
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi! There are lots of people who don't believe Dropbox anymore and, there are lots of great cloud services. Why not support them? In Russia, for example, there is Yandex.Disk and Mail.ru Cloud who give 100TB for free. They are reliable and secure, and got great APIs. Why 1password support only two clouds?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

don't believe Dropbox anymore

What's there not to believe?

Why 1Password support only two clouds?

You're right -- 1Password for iOS supports iCloud and Dropbox only.

However, if you take our mobile apps out of the mix, then you can use any cloud service, including the Russian ones you mentioned.

On Mac, you'll need to set up this thing called Folder Sync. On Windows, you simply open your vault from wherever it is on your drive -- there is nothing to configure.

You can then sync with our mobile apps using Wi-Fi Sync.

• nochnoy
    nochnoy
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

Svondutch, thanks for your answer. Yes I know that there are some ways to use another ones but, my question was in general, why you stick to only two of them? Why not take the strategy of supporting as many clouds as possible out of the box? As for "What's there not to believe?", you can google for "don't use dropbox" and you'll find some info from Edward Snowden. I just don't like things like this and would like to support competitors of mainstream services. Agile Bits might be thinking this way too, since it so careful about its costomer's security.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

why you stick to only two of them?

We have not gotten around adding others (such as OneDrive, for example) to our mobile apps. That being said, it is on our list of things to do.

you can google for "don't use dropbox" and you'll find some info from Edward Snowden.

Yes Dropbox has access to your documents, and so does the NSA. Who knows what other parties they are sharing your documents with.

But your 1Password data is protected by AES-256+PBKDF2+HMAC-SHA-512 encryption. Assuming you have a long and strong master password, they are going to have a very hard time decrypting it.

If you're concerned about the security of your 1Password data in the cloud, then we have Wi-Fi Sync for you. Do not assume competitors of Dropbox are more trustworthy. You can sync your 1Password data with 1Password for iOS without a cloud service. Your 1Password data does not leave your own local network.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Do not assume competitors of Dropbox are more trustworthy.

This is the key here. You have to assume that anything that leaves your PC that you didn't encrypt yourself will be read be everyone at some point.

If you're concerned about the security of your 1Password data in the cloud, then we have Wi-Fi Sync for you.

Which doesn't work between two desktops or two mobiles. Why is that anyway @svondutch?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Wi-Fi Sync doesn't work between two desktops or two mobiles. Why is that anyway @svondutch?

@RichardPayne my awesome colleague @brenty has posted a lot of great info here.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

ok, so @brenty/@svondutch, if I read that correctly then it's not a fundamental problem. The problem is that the desktop versions have no to become a slave and the mobile versions have no way to become a master.

Am I correct in saying that 1PfM can successfully pair and sync with multiple iOS devices over Wi-fi? If so then how would it be any different to additionally sync with another 1PfM if the other machine was set to be a slave?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne: I think that about sums it up. The mobile apps aren't designed with this in mind though. While it's technically feasible, I think for now it still makes sense to do this on a computer (rather than a phone), and therefore we only have the server logic on a Mac or PC.

They're really the ones doing all of the work. The iOS device just authenticates (using the shared secret) and sends and receives data, whereas the computer processes it as needed.

This really is no different from iCloud or Dropbox, even though it isn't immediately apparent because they're running the server for all of your clients, whatever they may be. Wi-Fi Sync just means that you've got to run the server yourself, which allows you to sync without your data leaving your local network.

This is something we will probably revisit in the future, but personally I'd hate to have to explain to my mom why she needs to set up her devices as Master/Slave. She really isn't a Pearl Jam fan either. ;)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

They're really the ones doing all of the work. The iOS device just authenticates (using the shared secret) and sends and receives data, whereas the computer processes it as needed.

So what is stopping 1PfM and 1PfW acting like a mobile device in being a dumb slave?

• Hi RichardPayne,

I had to delete my previous post as we had internal discussions between the CS team and the development teams, which corrected a few misunderstandings. I've asked our development team to write up a technical design document on how the Wi-Fi sync works and share it with the public.

So what is stopping 1PfM and 1PfW acting like a mobile device in being a dumb slave?

Code and scaling complexity. The more servers and clients get into the mix, the harder it is for us to figure out how to sync properly without losing data (overwriting data with something that's newer on server 1 but also newer on server 2, which one is correct?) and so on. It is much easier to maintain one truth server in the whole system (alas cloud sync services) than it is to maintain several of them at the same time.

• lutz
    lutz
    Community Member

I think "Synology Cloud Station" is a good Option

• Hi @lutz@baebeca.de,

IIRC, they don't have CloudStation APIs for the mobile apps to use, which means we can't use it even if we want to. That's why you're required to use their apps to access files on the NAS.

However, if you only use 1Password on the computers; on Windows, you can just move the vault folder to the Cloudstation folder and for Mac, use Folder Sync instead to put the vault folder inside the CloudStation folder.

• lutz
    lutz
    Community Member

@MikeT
    Thanks for fast Feedback!
    You make a great Job!

• You're welcome! Thanks for the kind feedback.

This discussion has been closed.