1Password Login for Java Applet? [Java is not supported nor recommended for security reasons]

Options
klee
klee
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

Is it possible to recognize the username and password field of Java-Applets? I would like to use 1Password for the following page:
http://www.ingrammicro.de/ec/imorder6/

I just need these two fields:

Kundennr. (customer number)
Passwort: (password)

Is there any solution possible?

Thanks!

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I doubt it, but I'll defer to the devs, @svondutch @MikeT

That said, have you tried setting the login item to use auto-type? https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/using-auto-type

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@klee 1Password will not be able to auto-save the username and password from your applet. That being said, you can have 1Password fill the username and password for you. You'll need to create a new Login item manually, and then Auto-Type it from 1Password into your applet.

• klee
    klee
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

How can I configure, that he should use the right fields? When I press auto-type in 1Password I see that he is doing something but the credentials are not in the fields.
    I created the login-object manualy and checked the "use auto-type in webbrowser" checkbox.

Is the auto-type keyboard shortcut the same on german keyboards? CTRL + \ is in my case CTRL + ALT (right side) + ß.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

@klee before you press the Auto-Type button in 1Password, please make sure the input focus is in your applet's username field.

You cannot press Ctrl+\ and have 1Password auto-type your credentials in your applet until you associate the applet with your Login item. Let's not go there (at least not yet). Let's try and get things working with the Auto-Type button you see on 1Password's toolbar.

• klee
    klee
    Community Member
    Options

This autotype button is not working properly.
    I click in the username/cust. no. field and licked "auto-type" in 1Password (the application).
    Firefox is then just showing the search field with my credentials and then the field disappears - no login, no credentials in the right field.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Hang on a sec. What makes you think that the login for site you linked is a Java Applet? I just had a look and it appears to standard html form with input elements.

• klee
    klee
    Community Member
    Options

Hm I am not a developer but this whole form is only loading when allowing java. Though I thought it is a java applet.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Java or JavaScript? They're different things.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Works for me with JS disabled.
    Can you confirm that this is the page you're trying to fill?

• klee
    klee
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I speak of this website: http://www.ingrammicro.de/ec/imorder6/
    You need to allow Java Runtime (the real Java - not the script) to get the forms.
    When disabling Javascript (eg. with NoScript in Firefox) the Java Object is not triggered, because the Java Object is triggered by a Javascript script.

Here the screenshot of the form: http://imgur.com/pPILeax

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, sorry. I see it. My Chrome had completely blocked it.

I'll let @svondutch look at the issue, but I would say you should contact them as using Java applets for something like this is terrible practice.

• klee
    klee
    Community Member
    Options

I hate the e-commerce-tool they provide but it is a really large company in germany/europe/worldwide. They made Q1 2014 10.4 billion dollar revenue. If I say "Please change your tool or login form" they say: "thanks for the input - bye." :D

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

you should contact them as using Java applets for something like this is terrible practice

@RichardPayne++ I'm not going to install the Java Runtime Environment for this. Sorry @klee.

http://www.itmanagerdaily.com/java-is-securitys-top-enemy-report/

• klee
    klee
    Community Member
    Options

Sad but understandable. I hate the jre, too. But I need it for work. Nevertheless, thanks for support.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

Sad but understandable. I hate the jre, too. But I need it for work. Nevertheless, thanks for support.

On behalf of Stefan, you're welcome. I'm sorry we couldn't be of any help here.

@RichardPayne:

I doubt it, but I'll defer to the devs, svondutch MikeT

FYI: I'm not a developer. Stefan's the only developer on the Windows team.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Ah ok. You seem to have a fair bit of knowledge so I assumed that you had been at some time.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I hate the e-commerce-tool they provide but it is a really large company in germany/europe/worldwide. They made Q1 2014 10.4 billion dollar revenue. If I say "Please change your tool or login form" they say: "thanks for the input - bye."

on your own, sure, but what happens when 50% of their customers say that? This is the usual problem. People think that they are too small to matter and yet every large movement starts with a few scattered individuals.

Is there really no alternative supplier?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@klee:

If I say "Please change your tool or login form" they say: "thanks for the input - bye."

Richard is correct. We've actually gotten some major sites to change and improve their login process when many of our customers sent in feedback about the problem.

It is also likely that the Java applet is not accessible for many folks using different tools, so improving the login to switch to the industry standards would not just help 1Password fill in but more importantly, help with the accessibility tools.

You can also send them this guide on how to improve their login page: https://support.1password.com/compatible-website-design/

@RichardPayne

Ah ok. You seem to have a fair bit of knowledge so I assumed that you had been at some time.

:smile: I do have some experience in the past as a network engineer with programming/scripting, so I do know enough to do some damage. For our team, I'm mostly a CS/QA guy who's been here for 5 years starting next month.

This discussion has been closed.