Google multi-page login [need to fill on each page: "Fill Login on current webpage" shortcut]

2»

Comments

• ian_
    ian_
    Community Member

Will do. Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In case anyone else is still having issues, I wanted to share a dummy Login item for Google:

onepassword://share/1?d=U2FsdGVkX18OLuzOp3lrmbl9Tfv6yK01XgUn9LjVnK2WAKKxhNOVdV5njUe0iC2nik7r0k6HMCdXmx8PFRrF1AfHWDtAOs%2Fg%2FDy%2FCATum4pOqyWu3%2F6g3RFtgLMXRqWroMPF7Vi%2BQry4hPY6dyZrVD0AXaBnzz1ogv8mFGRFmKkZJW452VPwVG5yd9TKsKxKcp9EFeANWvttAC5IVHVsqkEhPvIt9v9Mae%2F2FpMAHIayxnbPMFm6O%2FaoaRlCzkRqVQMspjyeXNJo9iXBbpUflqYDD7DDKJRvVEdbQIsU%2BVzXwkKM9d7XI2RhTFtFVMR0IHgjjmUzAxRy2yzthz1xav7%2BVxkozGkOt2n4VdeZzJkBt%2F7BhZ0JfPWvVNC%2FcSxDFbXqaHJRHuvXH3YOGfRUH9%2FLS1Z1idvyyikj7apBr0Foj1pjk5qFPe89Le4prKgf8KKwyAnbZ1iykB0QMED8JKerTjR3tsKZJcf9L8BfuFJ0zQwwFHo7%2FuHe6vOQAFTWnqXXVYJ5GSo1dcS6QQUPFYH3AP1RpT6z9XAJtR0pLPW6gDyZWfpR330aK%2B4NVsfosvjT2JEIQUAgbmpF%2B2%2FT7%2FtFmfEkhnT%2FivdtdyB0QJKge1nwlGa5Imipp7oeUMu5k7bZ113OoJWa8ia2wtQQMOA9X2t6SYemHEDtYZ87GSJwNyIPVaWEyco7jfBu3jfHmjZDtNZBJTpVCPe1uanGnJyLIsshRp8mOHSM7%2Fzw3tnBLhZcdd1I0EzKpKyDbvMsrICzLSie%2F%2BxepC%2FJa4hLVdZOo0kR4cal5kK5xlm6N40vjVNg4bY57YoJ78iwmxNJUA0ZArvjsSFF5S1zqD375WVPl74G9nynE60pXMjyo%2FD%2Bot6ABnwkw8rCp07LQPgP0AWKAU5sH3XPc091NzJ4lByUJr6e4tzrNY85%2BPPJWPcBJNTC5cCjRsgr3AGNwPtO9FfM5SKnHORjAekFM9jo%2FEeDbKn7x7EI91mLfhEpcKo8NsLFVKyAh5fpsSUDKdE9Uxys6%2BYOQzxTaeNDpX0nzpHzG1BbY2cwPw6Z3DHbPi7b9XHflWJbERHJT6bdCYtV6OfbXnyYzPwShhjtPWNSw70Lsk5pRS1Ffpuug7M%2F2yJ1MBmZ7LPqhO5xy6WMHJOV1GyDf0qPqKg5sZOx2WSO1oWsBdLDd6DTcRS%2FQZf3hQP40Q4X7lC98B%2Fu5Sf9J7Aik%2FyH3BKp5%2FBYVRLsAhEkawySZcgJzQPH76jiQkcN6pJ05JjQ8GM3xF2p2qU1O0%2BzPKCiUzwEIWCLw8dq%2BnMCEAxq9n6KJgnWEF0G%2Bb7sZvB8fQtq6FuDczcCcj6NIZFdtgxwxqF8Q2%2BDtZPn0VaFDF73Wrpdi4DNOyk5ZScoF7QEAX26yq%2Fl21y4ZcOgLqw3nopxjBN6ojQtJchP447mr%2BxXiCF4Wj3Lo0ed2dJgMDBzCAj%2FPblHCXxnzIBcyrrTB1WSrRjsS%2FoweGeK75SbmmN9OXdT%2BJSWmfQxzK4cO70L9QH0u4dH347v7Z26xnQma6pXfKUsqU%2BWSMeTsPOPcuym5LBG4gmeoona8zXDwNRJOurxkbJupY5qWRo%2FDpeH4ND5wQiHcOgbfzAH7eYc7hNXr%2BtVBIfGZm0vRanIbbcZuywMatW0nyh2Kg6XXUiqf5JKuewuIGlbYT559U5y8cHS%2FBAhGHWElPGcavvXmfWl%2Fmx6pr%2FroyUphyZWOaq%2FObkXTHO9X6GCiQumXiL9uExSq9xgRbcJTNEySi8JpSjId2CltoO0a5pBNllxjsGXQHD6I3TFtZ8WyvJUzZ6WQDq53d7U%2FC9iSxS%2BW3B54mUCXCT4V7yKR8uBP5Fe26wFy1ugpOMd2JRIvm1YJRlK847ZSUeX3nTDMzNO3iQUOd%2BVy5%2FpXhsNchvUR35r5Rckcl0azAV58jxcaLXo60nu2mmY5xvhP1nLM1gfb1PQpR9hiDBPoe8khE5wyBFk7%2F36W4bp9h4YsLQ8Oy6B0Hm5HQzto%2BOMbBGhKeX0vcDUpOZ9gJVvqZkLCE3OBWl%2BXPAE1qd7%2BGjYwjiJEOIlqvyBBxXqkD39dQwq9f0yrvj5Q6k%3D

Simply copy the entire block of text above and use File > New Item from Clipboard in 1Password to create a "Not a Google Account" item which you can then edit to add your own login credentials. All of the Google Login items I've saved over the years (and that's a lot!) work fine at every login form I've encountered, so I think this may prove useful to others. Cheers! :)

• FIsher
    FIsher
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

After some searching I found out that "File->New item from clipboard" is Mac only. In the Windows client I need to use Edit->Paste.
    Other than that, it would be great if a better solution was implemented in 1Password.
    It's not so much the inconvenience of having to tweak or split the entries, which is bad enough.
    It's the nuisance of having to look up the right account in 1Password twice each time I need to log in to one of my many gmail accounts!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @FIsher,

I did create a feature request regarding this and I will add your comments to it as a vote to see it happen. If you find you log into particular gmail accounts more than others you may find use in the Mark an item as a favorite as 1Password mini will always sort with favourites at the top of the list. I mean this as a workaround while you wait rather than a final solution. Now of course if you don't log into certain accounts more than others then this won't be as useful. Just to clarify though, this isn't a bug in how we interact with Google's login page as this is how we purposely behave with every multi-page login page. Hopefully favourites might be useful to you in the meanwhile :smile:

ref: OPX-998

• FIsher
    FIsher
    Community Member

Thanks for the tip!
    I have about twenty accounts, most of them functional accounts on Google Apps. My true favourites login automatically, through cookies.
    One other option is to "create" accounts in the Google login page, then at least the user name can be picked from a list.
    I don't blame AgileBits at all, just Google and their twisted logic. They seem keen on frustrating the Number One security advise: "use a password manager".

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Damn, no wonder you want to streamline it if you can, that's a whole load of Google accounts you have there @FIsher. I'm not sure what the purpose behind the redesign is as with 2FA it becomes 3 pages in total. I can't say for certain but I thought I saw them say something as to why but I have a terrible memory and unless it sticks it can be lost, never to be remembered again. Thankfully we have computers to ensure the feature request isn't lost or truly forgotten :smile:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's not so much the inconvenience of having to tweak or split the entries, which is bad enough.

I'm not sure what you mean. I did not have to do this. :lol:

Other than that, it would be great if a better solution was implemented in 1Password.

Ultimately, 1Password isn't going to be able to be able to compensate for websites that intentionally make their users jump through a lot of hoops. 1Password can fill the forms for you, but it has no control over the forms themselves; and frankly that just wouldn't be appropriate, since we'd be messing with someone else's code. Yuck.

1Password also won't be able to save us from ourselves when it comes to having too many logins for a given site, such as Google. You and I are in the same boat. Favorites and search are very helpful in this regard, but the best solution to clutter is always for us to declutter, rather than expect someone else to clean up our messes (or someone else's, in the case of website shenanigans)...at least until we can both afford personal assistants. :p

I don't blame AgileBits at all, just Google and their twisted logic. They seem keen on frustrating the Number One security advise: "use a password manager".

In their defense, they must have some reason for doing this. We will likely never know what that is, but I'm still curious nevertheless. ;)

• FIsher
    FIsher
    Community Member

I'm not sure what you mean. I did not have to do this. :lol:

No, you're right. I started out doing that, but found out it isn't needed.

In their defense, they must have some reason for doing this.

This has been extensively speculated about in comments on Google forums, so far without any further explanation by Google.
    This one of their three official reasons:

Reduced confusion among people who have multiple Google accounts

Which shows that they haven't got a clue about the workflow of those users.

1Password also won't be able to save us from ourselves when it comes to having too many logins for a given site, such as Google.

I don't agree, it is an important reason I use your tool.
    It made it much easier to handle many accounts. But now Google makes it more complicated than needed.

I recommend your tool to friends and co-workers.
    How to save a login is relatively easy to explain to novice users (who are not computer savvy).
    Explaining the hoops to jump through when saving a Google account is a challenge now.
    This is also true for just a single account.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @FIsher,

Thank you so much for helping to spread the word about 1Password! We wouldn't be where we are today without awesome users such as yourself, and we truly appreciate it. :)

Although we can't change the way Google's new login process works, we're always happy to help if you run into problems with 1Password. You know where to find us. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Reduced confusion among people who have multiple Google accounts

Which shows that they haven't got a clue about the workflow of those users.

@FIsher: Aagh! Indeed. I can't imagine managing multiple Google Accounts without 1Password — in my brain! :dizzy:

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member
    edited September 2015

@brenty
    your login dummy doesn't work (i don't get the "New Item from Clipboard" entry)
    i tried to copy it in plain text via the source code as well - same issue.
    Could you please provide the entry in another data format and/or paste it in pastebin.com ?

@1password this issue is very annoying - sad you cannot really provide a solution since months.

• Hi @theElvis,

Apologies for the confusion, if you paste the entire URI (onepassword://...) into the Safari address bar and press enter Safari will pass the URI correctly to 1Password or you can use the New Item from Clipboard trick using this.

{"sectionName":"N","details":{"fields":[{"value":"p455w0rd","name":"password","type":"P","designation":"password"},{"value":"user@domain.com","name":"username","type":"T","designation":"username"}],"backupKeys":["mCvhq+83SSZY2K1KB8ZvgWBNb1NNX8v9j1Ef\/6n363hYKnNHAW2OAZ1k2I3SJpZlm1ZCaq9kG2rujJcER\/4F9g==","fV1est4dW2VHZnj0KDi73erb6PzZmDrLNJtmgKktio+gf2PQP8CpT8FHB0HFFVXoHif5W\/GeTe5oC2fEC1\/0Pw==","slVM327DYgFjuCbt9WZyVvCCsCnrke3xWS0dEGRGwNhhx\/HDP0dafEiTrXDcN5b7T8XbF\/VKIRx+TkNuwRl76g==","LY8SH9MMxPmOFW5VCkShPzzQiefCTx74wmZmrlmz+ryqycw6jNhiFHP2qSgtq3MjpQ2Io4iBs\/u\/a4NJK5edUQ==","8jeCo9oIy35cL\/XbI8Iw8TAVh\/gd00ccsq3D7iTj8+ZsHTteSDLAHGPa4saoJktjOZg++0gm8V\/iPQdnHxjOUw==","a\/SYHCiSrOz\/RZc3a2uU2AOzpNN6Ceevv84gBET7N41ZbrMVIJvtfIoAKOxobwyUg3UxGAx6bFdr8NsJrZ+1UQ==","JdLx5P0UH69Tq4DxoeptDNeYk+MoihX1g9+fN69cSO4CfzBdA\/W3rH4acoR3vmJ\/nGYS8dI652CqIO5sRKk6rw==","xmql4qfifwHM4rfciH\/1j5Bly80nS6U8rkCbG6rl4HXeEG60ubtKbne2mpsAUxE2lczoi6XOS\/NkQoKj365R1g==","284NHJVXtmg+ypT9FTfXb5k3bHIsm0NJhBKeRIcQZ4Q8kjHCEIGQSRugPHAeA9oJE8R6fO1caYceggnGnnmjRA==","\/touSQQhev\/i5yKVQ9G9XD5pUsA2Gw1P1QOzglPcdMDPIGDTe16sWwoz4cpdWJMlRonX\/d165aulqhkdg7G9SA==","HE2AmadGlcEk9S+bBMUVWsWkKsHpy\/Yi5GpKj4ymE+Q5CzLL32tyjfxC9kpoc2BusOmIES98fgjfuJJg4ePKbQ==","OMW9lGpNrA2KdtdLmLBS2suMAOcjQoH0HDUwuMcgVgHKayqyQTQJUhXhWNjtrbmjyvVFyCQZui9fEek\/DdKAMg==","BbMgoDjKkZlkrdaYUyyfDECZJ3H3F2ISeHFJpZwV9szI0J6p9DNPByvqo7ZSvTMDVJE2i0Rkkd6i7jjNLuvQpQ==","U\/gBpxtd3wjPE3VxaPdwIYNqaMfKcgLo67IFd6wOWuFmwhBfjmbD6XodEyXx7CRe9TplumKsv20vBJYN\/3S3Dg==","\/\/35ST0MLnXKPOJlC24DzVeeMR7YMma4rrwz6qm2H1h5agPbcme9g0JdQ68NTrz1g1sSD8p9PCJTjaXMbLB65A==","21xYVNjPF\/bWm1x0SAr9s2nfrJKrNpn6A9H+TUw4OYn3qdjcjLi\/H3azdubYA1MHG3OobLAC4laCgviplqErBw==","bxp0qxhJhYzFWzH+8Cg57FIR6kNBNvoNAde6fH40w06qQgfYFOEeqaDOuQeZZU\/heVmoPARSferlg9E5DDsSiw=="],"notesPlain":"","sections":[{"name":"Section_CDDCAF1991C1473680B547401F3A3468"}]},"uuid":"A4A9B068823F4E4EA2BD4AECF7E63F3D","updatedAt":1435110777,"createdAt":1435110430,"categoryUUID":"001","overview":{"title":"Not a Google Account","url":"https:\/\/accounts.google.com\/ServiceLogin?service=wise&passive=1209600&continue=https:\/\/mail.google.com","ainfo":"user@domain.com","ps":86},"URLs":[{"overview":{"label":"website","url":"https:\/\/accounts.google.com\/ServiceLogin?service=wise&passive=1209600&continue=https:\/\/mail.google.com"}}]}

While many might disagree, 1Password is actually working as intended here. The steps required to work with Google's login page are no different from any site that spreads the login process across two or more pages. I only mention that as asking for a solution would suggest it's broken. It may be that at some point in the future we improve the multi-page login process but it wouldn't be aimed at google, it would be a general improvement for all sites using this approach.

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member
    edited September 2015

thank you @littlebobbytables - unfortunately the entry doesn't fix the issue and still only fills the first mail form but not the password form on Google login sites :blush:

• Hi @theElvis,

Just to confirm, you're on the first screen that requests your username. You fill using your preferred method (for me it's the keyboard shortcut ⌘\) and if you have submit after filling enabled it moves you onto the screen where your password is requested. Now are you saying that a second fill command does not fill the password as it should?

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables confirmed, yes exactly!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

While many might disagree, 1Password is actually working as intended here. The steps required to work with Google's login page are no different from any site that spreads the login process across two or more pages. I only mention that as asking for a solution would suggest it's broken. It may be that at some point in the future we improve the multi-page login process but it wouldn't be aimed at google, it would be a general improvement for all sites using this approach.

@littlebobbytables: My bank, for instance. :lol:

thank you @littlebobbytables - unfortunately the entry doesn't fix the issue and still only fills the first mail form but not the password form on Google login sites :blush:

@theElvis: Then something else is wrong in your particular case. I'm using the same Login item I posted above and just double-sanity-checked this with Gmail, and I was able to ⌘ \ fill both the first (username) and second (password) pages.

At this point, it becomes clear that you've told us absolutely nothing about your setup. You may be using 1Password touch on an iPhone 3GS running iOS 5.1.1 for all i know! ;)

All kidding aside, without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong for your in particular and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, device, and browser versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, are you having trouble with specific sites, or on a particular device? If you're having trouble with specific sites in a specific browser with a specific version of 1Password and its extension, be sure to include that information. Often simply manually saving the login will save additional information that will allow 1Password to work...but I was able to create a brand new working Login item in about 10 seconds by doing the following:

1. Enter username into first page of Gmail login form
    2. Save new Login item (⌘ ⌥ \ > ⌘ N)
    3. Manually edit new Login item to add password

I was then able to use ⌘ \ to fill on both steps in the login process. If this still isn't working for you, let us know the information requested above so we can figure out why filling on the second page is broken specifically for you! :pirate:

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member
    edited September 2015

@brenty thank you!

My system:

• 1Password 5.3 (530029) - latest
    • El Capitan 10.11 Beta (15A278b) (had the same issues on stable Yosemite as well!)
    • Latest Safari Browser or latest Chrome Browser 45.0.2454.101 (64-bit) (both same issue)

I tried both: your dummy login above and the manual saving version above.

When i hit ⌘# (\ is quite difficult on a german keyboard layout) it automatically enters the login + switches to the password entry and stops without filling it right here:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@theElvis: Aha! So I switched over to Chrome to test this, and...it's still working for me. :cry:

Same 1Password version (5.3, but I also tried our current beta)
    Same Chrome version (45.0.2454.101)
    And I tried both the stable and beta extensions...

But re-reading your message I think I understand the difference. Before I divulge this secret, please do yourself a favour and change your keyboard shortcut to something more manageable for you in 1Password Preferences > General > Fill Login on current webpage. That will save you a ton of time filling logins in the future! :)

When i hit ⌘# (\ is quite difficult on a german keyboard layout) it automatically enters the login + switches to the password entry and stops without filling it right here:

You need to press the Fill Login on current webpage keyboard shortcut again, since you're now on a new page. 1Password will only fill the current webpage when you use the shortcut, not subsequent pages. 1Password, on general principle, will only take an action when you tell it to. But if you want it to fill there as well, all you need to do is press the keyboard shortcut again and you'll be all set. I hope this helps! :)

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member

@brenty thank you for your great support

• ⌘# is not that bad on a german layout ;) http://i.stack.imgur.com/ErgQC.jpg
    • ouuh, now i got it! (hitting the shortcut twice) - unfortunately this triggers the list again with 8!! Google accounts ... so i have to go through the list and find this specific account again.

Oh i would love to see 1Password building a workaround "for Google" - because almost anybody has an account there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

⌘# is not that bad on a german layout ;) http://i.stack.imgur.com/ErgQC.jpg

@theElvis: Oh, cool! I see! Thanks for the screenshot. :lol:

ouuh, now i got it! (hitting the shortcut twice) - unfortunately this triggers the list again with 8!! Google accounts ... so i have to go through the list and find this specific account again.

Ahh, I hear you. You really don't want to know how many Google logins I have! ;)

Oh i would love to see 1Password building a workaround "for Google" - because almost anybody has an account there.

I can see both sides of this argument. On the one hand, it seems strange to make an exception to 1Password's 'no action without user interaction' rule (which is by design)...and that could be a slippery slope. But on the other hand, you're right: Google is a very common login, and if we can improve this, it will help a lot of people. It's certainly something we can consider for a future version. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• toffifee
    toffifee
    Community Member

I would like to +1 that last paragraph. I have several Google accounts as well myself and ⌘+# or ⌘+/ does log me in, but I have to do it twice and select the corresponding account again on the password page of the login.

What I could imagine being a tremendous improvement in functionality is either

1. Auto-fill the password once the second page is loaded, after hitting the shortcut only once or
    2. at least jump to the corresponding entry in the account list once I hit the short-cut again on the password page, so that I don't have to navigate to my item of choice again.

Thanks for considering it for a future update!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have several Google accounts as well myself and ⌘+# or ⌘+/ does log me in, but I have to do it twice and select the corresponding account again on the password page of the login.

@toffifee: As do I. This is the case with all multi-page login processes, not just Google. It's definitely something we'll continue to consider. It may be a safe thing to do with Google, but we also need to be careful when it comes to making exceptions that would make 1Password work less consistently.

at least jump to the corresponding entry in the account list once I hit the short-cut again on the password page, so that I don't have to navigate to my item of choice again.

Okay, this is a cool idea! Sort of like a memory of the last-used login. I'm not sure how feasible this will be with our ever increasing item counts, but it may help in this case and others if 1Password could sort by last used in the browser. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

This discussion has been closed.