1Password doesn't find any data on a different computer without Dropbox running [Normal]

Options
Eccobid
Eccobid
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

It works fine on my Toshiba laptop. I wanted to see if i can use it on the HP laptop I own and it brings me to the screen where I have 3 choices (new user, existing or restore), which I understand is a sign that it can't find the 1password file. I did move 1PASSWORD to dropbox when 1password offered me the option. I don't want to have to put a local version of dropbox on every computer I'm using 1password on; simply because when using a hotel computer, it's not feasible.

Comments

• MikeT
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @Eccobid,

I don't want to have to put a local version of dropbox on every computer I'm using 1password on; simply because when using a hotel computer, it's not feasible.

That's how the cloud sync works. Dropbox is the truth server in the cloud that tells each computer how to download files and/or upload files. Without Dropbox installed, the computer cannot get anything from Dropbox and thus, 1Password acts as if there's no data on the computer. You have to copy the 1Password data folder to the computer before 1Password can open it.

A few things:

1. If the hotel computer is not your own and you don't have total control over it, we don't recommend using 1Password on it anyway. You don't know for sure how compromised it is and if it is compromised, you could expose your 1Password data unintentionally. Be careful using a computer that is not your own, we can't protect you from them.
    2. If the hotel computer is your own and you can securely trash your data later when you leave the hotel, then what you can do is use a USB drive to copy your 1Password data to. You might have a better experience using a local sync tool to sync between the USB drive and your local 1Password folders on the computers.
    3. If you only need to read some data in 1Password and you can trust the computer, you can use the 1PasswordAnywhere feature instead which does not require Dropbox or 1Password to be installed on that computer.
This discussion has been closed.