Suggestion: Combined bank account item type

shaumik
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
It would be nice if a single account could contain all the relevant information for that account - namely account number, osrt code, internet login and password, debit card details and pin.

Many accounts also require a memorable password or phrase, from which you are asked to enter the first or third digit for example. It would be good if this phrase could be entered into 1password, and then perhaps 1password would allow you to scroll through a dropdown menu and along the phrase to the correct digit to enter it.

In the UK accounts should have a section for sort code.

It would be nice to be able to call credit cards, just cards, so that it can be specified if they're credit or debit.

At the moment, this information is stored in multiple different records in 1password, and it would be nice to be able to amalgamate it into a single record.

Comments

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, shaumik!

I understand perfectly how this might be of help to some customers for organizational purposes. It comes with a steep "price" in that it would have to allow multiples of almost everything (site logins, card details, other wallet items associated, etc.) and we've elected to keep everything at the item level instead. You can use common tokens/phrases within your Title or other common fields (like Notes) and search across all the 1Password vault categories to bring all the related items into one view.
  • Ned
    Ned
    edited December 1969
    MartyS wrote:
    ...It comes with a steep "price" in that it would have to allow multiples of almost everything (site logins, card details, other wallet items associated, etc.) ..
    I don't see why that would be true. It would be possible to keep things as they are now and add an (optional) layer of organization above it--in other words, some things that appear to be atomic items (I think everything within 1Pa at this time would be called an atomic item) would in fact be aggregate items internally. Atomic items that were members of an aggregate item would not be visible outside of whatever representation they had within the aggregate.

There are some questions to be answered, such as the precedence of one atomic item over another within the aggregate. And there will probably have to be adjustment of the definition of an atomic item, which likely would mean changes to data structures.

One possible way to reduce the complexity of a situation where (some) atomic items and all aggregate items were displayed would be to make everything displayed an aggregate item and never display an atomic item---some aggregates would just consist of a single atomic item.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    We appreciate the additional input, Ned.
  • flippo
    edited November 2010
    I don't understand this, because at some stage I *did* enter a UK bank account - I see the fields for sort code ("Bank Branch Sort Number") and so-on, and it's listed under the "type" column as "Bank Account (UK)".

But I just tried to add another and I don't seem to be able to. I don't know how I did it in the first place!
  • Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member
    When setting up 1Password I have found that for each of my bank accounts I need 3 (or more) records:

1) Account record (Wallet) - for the bank account details
    2) Login record - to access the account online (2 for a joint account)
    3) Debit card (Wallet) - to record associated debit cards (2 for a joint account)

This leads to duplication of certain details, not to mention a bit of confusion.

I know all of these details can be combined by using the Notes field, but it would be really useful to have a template which combines all of the current ones.
  • Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member
    Alright, my first post was a disaster! I should have noticed that Shaumik had already requested more or less the same thing yesterday. I really must try harder.

Apologies.
  • egordin
    egordin
    Community Member
    stu wrote:

No need to apologise, Oxon, it's good to get an idea of how many users want to see a certain feature within 1Password.

In that case, I would like to formally express my great interest in customizable templates for 1Password entries. There are several types of records that I would like kept in my 1Password vault but cannot place anywhere except notes.

Keep up the good work guys!
This discussion has been closed.