Items in folders are original or a copy?

Options
Automateo
Automateo
Community Member

I was wondering to move expired credit cards to a folder. After copying some items in a folder, could I delete them in my credit card category list?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Automateo,

If you delete a Credit Card item from the Credit Card category in the left sidebar of the 1Password app, it will be moved to the Trash in 1Password, and will be removed from the folder you've assigned it to. The Categories in 1Password are meant to show you all of the items in your vault of that same type, except for those which are in the Trash. (If you move an item to the Trash by mistake, you can restore it from there as long as you haven't emptied the Trash yet.)

Similarly, if you delete your Credit Card item from the folder, it will be moved to the Trash in 1Password, and will also be deleted from the Credit Cards category. However, if you'd like to remove an item from a folder, you can right-click on the item(s) in that folder and select Remove from Folder (when you do that, it will still be in its Category).

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions about that or need anything else, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• Automateo
    Automateo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your kind and clear answer. I think I got it. Definitively items in folders are a copy or alias from the original ones, right?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Automateo,

Items that you've assigned to folders aren't actually "copies", because a copy of an item would be a separate item, with no link to the original. I suppose you could say an item in a folder is more like an alias, although it's probably more correct to say it's the exact same item, not just a shortcut (which is why deleting an item from a folder also deletes it from its Category). So an item you see in a Folder is really the same item you see in a Category, it's just been marked to also be displayed in a Folder.

Does that make a little more sense?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Another way to look at the Folder concept is not from the item's point of view, but from the folder's. A Folder is simply a view that shows all items that have the same Folder ID. And the categories are views that show items that have the relevant Category ID.

An Item always has a Cateogory ID, and may also have a Folder ID.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I like MrC's definition.

The All Items category is a single viewpoint of all the items in your vault. Tags, folders and categories are all ways of viewing subsets of those very same items rather than the idea of copies or aliases.

The only time we talk about proper copies of items is if you copy an item from one vault to another. Then there are two distinct copies and edits or even the deletion of the item in one vault won't affect the other.

Hopefully that all helps.

This discussion has been closed.