How to clear master pwd

fdonald
fdonald
Community Member
How do you clear the master pwd when you've forgotten it?
I am new to 1password and forgot the master password. How do you clear it without having it so that a new master password can be set?

Comments

• Stu,

While I did not post the original question I have a similar problem. I bought 1Passsword for my wife to run on her iPad, she set it up to run but didn't start to use it immediately. After she asked me for our credit number for about the 10th time I chided her to just use her 1Password. Alas she had never populated the data and had since forgotten the Master Password. I have two questions:
    1. How do I reset the product (clear the master password) on an iPad (original iPad not an iPad2)
    2. How can I copy my agile.1password file to her iPad and then change the master password for this database so that I can edit it to be her data. I know how to edit the data I really need to know how to point her 1Password to use a different database file (a copy of mine).
  • Hi,

I am using 1password for iphone 4 on windows 7. How do i reset the master password for Mac or PC? Thanks.
  • MikeT
    edited August 2011
    Hi guys, welcome to the forums!

1. How do I reset the product (clear the master password) on an iPad (original iPad not an iPad2)

To reset the database on the iPad, you'll have to reinstall the app. It is not possible to reset the master password without losing the data. To remove 1Password off the iPad, tap and hold the 1Password app until you see the icons wiggle and an 'x' mark show up on 1Password. Tap it to delete it. After that, download 1Password again from the App store. You'd need to use your AppleID to download it at no cost, make sure it is the same version you purchased in the past.

2. How can I copy my agile.1password file to her iPad and then change the master password for this database so that I can edit it to be her data. I know how to edit the data I really need to know how to point her 1Password to use a different database file (a copy of mine).
    Just to be clear, is she going to be using 1Password on the Mac as well or is it going to be just you with two separate databases?

After transferring the data to your wife's iPad, you can change the password on the iPad by going to Settings > Security > Change Master Password.

nala wrote:

Hi,

I am using 1password for iphone 4 on windows 7. How do i reset the master password for Mac or PC? Thanks.

You can't reset the master password without knowing the original password, we do not have a backdoor in our apps that'll let you do this. If we do, that's an exploit for criminals to take advantage of.

For more information, please read our user guide if you forgot the master passwords:
    In either guide, it'll explain how you can start from a new data file if you don't remember the password. If you have access to your 1Password data on the iPhone, you should be able to re-sync the data to the empty data file on the computer. Before re-syncing, please backup your 1Password data on the iPhone with this guide.
This discussion has been closed.