Sync problem

Options
JohnGreen
JohnGreen
Community Member

I have 1Password on my Mac and iPad and have set up the sync with iCloud feature but not all logins and passwords on my Mac are showing up on the iPad after the sync has supposedly been completed.

1Password Version: 4.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.9.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JohnGreen ,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble keeping things synced up with iCloud. Thanks so much for including your version information - that gives us a good place to start. I am, however, going to need a couple more details - what version of 1Password are you using on your iPad, and what version of iOS are you using?

The reason these details are necessary is that Apple made some pretty big changes to iCloud between OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)/iOS 7 and OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)/iOS 8. If you're using Mavericks on your Mac, and iOS 8 on your iPad, for example, the versions of iCloud are not compatible, so, while you are successfully syncing to iCloud on both devices, it's essentially a 'different' iCloud.

Once we know your iOS version details to confirm this, we can discuss options. :)

• JohnGreen
    JohnGreen
    Community Member
    Options

On the iPad, under Settings/General/Version (which I think means the iOS version but am not 100% sure of that), I see 8.3 (12F69). my 1Password version is 5.4.1.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JohnGreen,

Thanks so much for confirming that!

Unfortunately, this means that my suspicions are correct: your devices are both happily syncing to a different version of iCloud.

So, here are the options:

• Upgrade to Yosemite (with the new iCloud support) and 1Password 5 (which is a free update for all 1Password 4 owners.)
    • Switch to Dropbox sync.

If you'd like more detailed instructions for either option, or if you have any questions, please let me know!

• JohnGreen
    JohnGreen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again. I just tried switching to Dropbox as you suggested. On my MacBook Pro, I seem to have merged my data successfully from iCloud to Dropbox -- but then when I followed the instructions for merging the vaults on the laptop and my iPad I got the "Vault mismatch" message mentioned on your webpage. The instructions on your webpage said not to merge but instead to contact support@agilebits.com. I assume that contacting you this way amounts to the same thing. Of course the files on my laptop and iPad are not the same right now -- it was for the purpose of bringing them into line with each other that I went from iCloud to Dropbox in the first place. Is that why I got that message? Should I go ahead and sync from the iPad anyway? What is the risk of doing that? Thanks for your help!

• AGMarshall
    AGMarshall
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @JohnGreen. On the vault mismatch page there is a 'more information' link at the bottom. Click that. You will then be presented with a percentage similar number. If this is in the high 90's percent similar, then you can click the 'merge anyhow' option. If it isn't, please give us a shout back here.

• JohnGreen
    JohnGreen
    Community Member
    Options

Only 77.8% similar. 54 items in the iPad vault, 71 in the Dropbox vault. Not sure whether all the overlapping items are the same.

• JohnGreen
    JohnGreen
    Community Member
    Options

Going offline for the evening now.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JohnGreen,

I think you should be okay to merge the two but let's take a couple of precautions just in case.

1. On your Mac launch 1Password and enter 1Password's preferences. Switch to the Backup tab and click on the Backup Now button.
    2. On your iPad launch 1Password and enter 1Password's Settings (the cog in the bottom left hand corner). In there, enter the Advanced screen (scroll down to find the option) and tap on the Create Backup button.

What we've done here is ensure there is a pre-merge backup on both devices that you can return to should anything unexpected happen.

Personally I believe it's exactly as you suspect, the two copies of 1Password have had time to drift apart and 1Password recognises this. What you might find is you need to manually de-duplicate an entry or two if you ever had to create the same item separately in both copies. Other than that the Universally Unique IDs (UUID) should match and cause the merging of items.

If two items with the same UUID have different data 1Password will create conflict sections. This way you can manually review each item and decide what you want to do.

Should you have any questions prior to attempting the merge or afterwards please do ask and we'll do our best to ensure that you get back to a single vault :smile:

• JohnGreen
    JohnGreen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I've got a lot going on right now and may not be able to get to this until sometime next week.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem at all, @JohnGreen! Hopefully everything works perfectly once you get the chance to finish setting up Dropbox sync on your iPad. But if you do run into any trouble, or if you have more questions, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.