how do i open a previously exported (to a thumb drive) 1Password file?

Options
janetbean
janetbean
Community Member

I exported "all items" to a thumb drive. How do i open it? Can I do so without loosing what I currently have? I'd like to print out previous copy of all of my data. I'm still a believer in have a (safely kept) hard copy of all of my stuff)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Normally when you export 1Password data, it produces a 1pif file. If that's what you have on your thumb drive, it's in plain text and is readable with any text editor. It therefore is not secure, so be particularly careful with it.

If you saved something else to the thumb drive, let us know what format it's in.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @janetbean,

Like Hawkmoth says, we'll need a bit more detail about what format your data is in before we can tell you how to open it. It's great to hear that you are thinking about the safety of your data and ensuring you have secure backups. However, I'm not quite sure that I understand what your end goal is here:

• Are you planning on using the data that is currently on the thumb drive to access your password database when you're away from your computer?
    • Are you simply looking to keep a printout of your 1Password database in a safe deposit box for emergencies?

Once we know what you hope to do, we can give you some instructions to make it happen. :)

• janetbean
    janetbean
    Community Member
    Options

I want to view a previous set of data and compare it. I think I lost something. And I don't wan to loose what i currently have.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @janetbean. So, if I understand the situation, it sounds like the .1pif file on your thumb drive contains a previous set of your 1Password data, and you want to see if it contains some information that is not in your current data in 1Password?

As hawkmoth mentioned, the .1pif file is in plain text, so you can open it with a text editor and view your data. However, it's formatted in a way that won't be very easy to read, so I'm not sure what will help you to compare the data to your current vault unless you know of something specific to search for in the text file. Instead, it sounds like you want to import that .1pif file into 1Password, but you don't want to lose any newer information that is currently there.

In that case, you should make a backup of your current data first. In the main 1Password app, simply go to File > Backup. That will make a new backup of your current data, and open the Preferences > Backup window where you can see all your 1Password backups (including the new one). Now you can feel free to import your data from the .1pif file. If you lose anything, you can always restore from the backup.

Once you import from the .1pif, if you find any "lost" items, you can export just those items (File > Export > Selected Items). Then restore from the backup with your newer data, and then import those items from the new .1pif file you just created.

Does that help? If it's confusing and you have any questions at all, please do let us know. Thanks!

• janetbean
    janetbean
    Community Member
    Options

follow up question...I have two laptops. Can I take one off line (no syncing) and import the old data file?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @janetbean,

Yes, you can certainly do that if you'd like. On the laptop where you want to do that, open the main 1Password app and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences, choose the Sync tab, then change the sync setting to None (in the dropdown menu).

Also remember to make a fresh backup in 1Password on that laptop before importing from the .1pif file, in case you want to restore back to the state it was in before doing the import.

Please let us know how it goes and if you need more help. :)

This discussion has been closed.