Automating AWS MFA login

Options
msteele
msteele
Community Member

I would like to automate logging into AWS with MFA using 1Password's One time Password functionality. I've setup login so that 1Password will open the page and enter all fields except the 'mfacode'. There doesn't appear to be a way to specify TOTP for this field. Am I missing something?

1Password Version: 5.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @msteele,

Have you by any chance seen this user guide article: Time-based One-Time Passwords (TOTP)

Does that help to set up a TOTP field in your Login item? If not, at which steps are you running into a problem? If you can let us know some more specific details about what happens when you try to set that up, we should be able to help you with that. Thanks!

• msteele
    msteele
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I'm able to successfully create and use a TOTP (which is an awesome new feature!). But want I want to do is automate login to AWS using both the regular password AND TOTP. I have 1Password setup to automatically fill in username, password, and click the MFA check box, but I don't see a way to automatically fill in the TOTP. Is there a way to set this up? Here are screen shots with my data erased showing the AWS MFA login as well as the 1Password autofill sequence. I expected to see TOTP in the pop-up list of items to print.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @msteele,

Thank you for clarifying that, I see what you mean now. Currently, 1Password doesn't support filling a TOTP field in the browser. We have an open feature request for this, and I'll be happy to add your feedback. For now, you'll need to copy and paste the TOTP into the login form on the website.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! I agree this would be a very handy feature, so hopefully we'll be able to include it in the future. Aside from that, I hope you're enjoying the TOTP feature in 1Password. If you need anything else, please let us know. :)

ref: OPX-758

• dwradcliffe
    dwradcliffe
    Community Member
    Options

I'm really surprised you can't fill in the TOTP value... that seems like the whole point of the feature? Any update on when they will fix this?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dwradcliffe,

The reason why a one-time password cannot be filled by the 1Password extension is because the extension doesn't support filling custom fields. So, the same is true for any other custom fields you might add to an item in 1Password. But as I mentioned above, we have an open feature request for that, so perhaps our developers will be able to change the way that works in the future (I don't have any timeframe for that, though).

In the meantime, you can simply click on the one-time password to copy it, and then paste it into a website. That works in the main app as well as 1Password mini or the browser extension. I know it's not quite as easy as using a quick keyboard shortcut to have something filled for you, but hopefully that makes it a bit easier.

I'm really surprised you can't fill in the TOTP value... that seems like the whole point of the feature?

Well to be fair, the point of 1Password is primarily to securely store your data. Filling data in a web browser is a truly awesome feature, but I wouldn't say it's the whole point. Storing a TOTP in 1Password allows 1Password to generate that one-time password for you, so you don't have to tell a website to send one to your phone (for example), or use another 3rd party app to do so. But I do get your point, and I agree it would be really convenient if that could be filled in a browser just like your username and regular password. Perhaps we'll be able to do that one day!

If you need anything else, please let us know! :)

ref: OPX-758

• dwradcliffe
    dwradcliffe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. Still hoping custom fields are supported some day soon! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem @dwradcliffe! Please let us know if you need anything else.

This discussion has been closed.