New 1Password Data Folder

Qow is this supposed to work?
I have just downloaded the trial version of the 1Password software and I'm in the process of trying to understand how it works. Last night, I selected the "New 1Password Data Folder" option on the File dropdown and was able to create a new data folder. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out a way to get back to my original folder, and I would've lost everything I'd entered if I hadn't taken a backup and been able to restore it. So, I'm now more than a little confused about how this works, since I was thinking that I could have multiple Data Folders with access to whichever one I wanted to access. Would someone fill me in on this?

Thanks in advance for your help (and understanding)...

JScott

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    JScott, welcome to the forum!

1Password isn't designed to support maintaining multiple data folders, which can cause surprises with automatic backups and is likely to cause real problems with Dropbox sync'ing. The "new data folder" functionality was really intended for use in situations where you just need (or want) to start over from scratch.

That said, if you're willing to risk the surprises and problems—and particularly if you're not going to use Dropbox to share and sync your 1Password data with other PCs, Macs, and mobile devices—it is possible (as you've discovered) to have more than one 1Password data folder on your computer. The important thing is to know where they are (and the master password you used to protect each one, of course).

Here are the typical locations for the 1Password data folder:

• When you create a new data folder:
      • Windows XP
        C:\Documents and Settings\your-name\My Documents\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain
      • Windows Vista/7
        C:\Users\your-name\Documents\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain

• When you put your 1Password data under Dropbox sync control:
      • Windows XP
        C:\Documents and Settings\your-name\My Documents\My Dropbox\1Password.agilekeychain
      • Windows Vista/7
        C:\Users\your-name\Documents\My Dropbox\1Password.agilekeychain

Of course, you might've changed those locations during or after the process of creating the data folder. You can probably search your computer for *.agilekeychain to find all existing 1Password data folders.

I hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.