confusion about dropbox sync files

Options
chipbrock
chipbrock
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for years across 3 computers and multiple iOS devices. I recently replaced a computer and I've managed to completely confuse myself about how to re-establish a sync with dropbox.

My confusion in part comes from the fact that I appear to have multiple versions of the file 1Password.agilekeychain...and they appear different across the three computers, which I really don't understand. For example, the computer that I need to trust syncs to

A. 1Password.agilekeychain and I see it in the finder on that computer. It's 1.2MB It's the one that's sync'd in preferences.

B. In addition the finder shows 1Password 2.agilekeychain which is 19.5MB (!?)

C. In addition there is a folder called 1Password 2014-05-19 171410 (487 items).1pif and it has a 1Password.agilekeychain file inside.

On the dropbox web view, all three files are visible, A, B, and C. But the new computer only sees B and C, but it does not see the important A. Not in the finder and not from within the sync preferences. I know that what's suspicious is that dropbox is maybe not syncing, but I really don't believe that to be the case. Everything else in dropbox is syncing, but just that one one important file is not visible.

I suspect that in my attempt to establish the new computer...and the lack of being able to see A has caused me to do harm and I'm nervous of doing something that will mess me up. I'm backed up on the trusted computer.

What I want to do is get rid of all instances of 1password from two computers, keep the one that I know I Must Trust and then start over on the ones that I need to re-establish. But I'm troubled by this A being invisible. I also don't trust a file that is 19.5 MB... do you?

Also I'm tempted to switch to iCloud. Any advise there?

thanks
Ray Brock

1Password Version: 1Password 5 Version 5.3.1 (531001) Agile Web Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chipbrock,

Thanks for posting your question. I can understand your confusion, as this does sound a bit mysterious. But we'll do our best to help you sort it out!

Before we go much further, I'd like to ask you to list the OS version and 1Password version of each of the devices you're syncing 1Password on, because how we proceed will depend on that information. Thanks!

• chipbrock
    chipbrock
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. The OS and 1Password versions are listed at the end of the post for a home iMac. The computer that I trust (my portable) is OS 10.10.3 and 5.3 (5300032).

• chipbrock
    chipbrock
    Community Member
    Options

Obviously I'm reluctant to change anything on the portable and the iMac was the new computer and got the update, hence the version difference.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chipbrock,

It sounds like your portable Mac (a MacBook?) has all your current 1Password data, which is why it's the one you trust? If so, as a precaution, you should make a new backup of the 1Password data on that Mac. From the main 1Password app, go to File > Backup. That will open the Backup preferences and show all your backups, including the new one you just made.

I think the best way to get the sync working again will be to reset Dropbox sync. You'll be deleting the .agilekeychain folders from Dropbox, but you won't need to worry about losing anything because 1Password stores a local copy of your data on your Mac, which is separate from the data in Dropbox. To reset Dropbox sync, you can follow these steps:

On each Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Sync tab, then choose your Primary vault on the left side of the Sync options.
    • Change the sync from Dropbox to None and confirm that you want to Disable Sync.
    • If you have any secondary vaults, disable Dropbox sync for those, too.

On your portable/trusted Mac:

• Open your Dropbox folder and delete (or at least remove) each .agilekeychain (it sounds like there are 3).
    • In 1Password, go back to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Choose your Primary vault, then select Dropbox from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu.
    • Click the Choose button and select your main Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    • Click Create New to create a new 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox/1Password.
    • Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

On your other Mac(s):

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Enable Dropbox sync for the Primary vault.
    • Click the Choose button and select the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox/1Password (then click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing.

This should get Dropbox sync back up and running correctly again. If you also sync 1Password with iOS devices, you'll need to re-enable Dropbox sync on those, too. Let us know how it all goes, thanks!

• chipbrock
    chipbrock
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Any clue about the fact that I somehow have two files that are so different in size? 19.5 MB seems awfully large to me. Should the size of the backup be the same size as the keychain? Just for cross-checking... Also, what is the function of the folder, "1Password 2014-05-19 171410 (487 items).1pif" and how might I have induced a keychain file to be inside? I presume that a real keychain can live on its own outside of that. thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chipbrock,

Roughly speaking the sync container and the backup size should be in the same ballpark. If one was a magnitude larger than the other it might suggest something isn't quite right. Saying that, it is possible to have multiple vaults in a single copy of 1Password for Mac and a backup is of all the vaults in contrast to a .agilekeychain which is for a single vault. So it isn't always the case that a single .agilekeychain should be the same size as a backup.

Now the difference between 1.2MB and 19.5MB is quite a lot. This is mostly conjecture though without examining both in a little more detail. You can attached files to any item and all it would take is one or two moderately sized files to bump up the sync container size. The question would be where did this other copy come from and why does it differ. With those answers we'd maybe be able to say a little more but the chances are you may not remember this .agilekeychain being created at all.

To reassure you though, as long as your MacBook contains a good vault that you trust then you should be fine. As part of my troubleshooting I'm routinely deleting my own .agilekeychains because I know how easy they are to recreate. As long as the vault inside 1Password for Mac is fine then the sync data can always be removed.

Now the .1pif folder is more troubling. 1pif stands for 1Password Interchange Format and it's the format we use when you export your vault in an unencrypted form. Those files are human readable so they can be imported into another application (for example) and I would strongly recommend you completely delete that folder. You will want to delete it form Dropbox and then tell it not to keep a record for recovery. This Dropbox KB article may be of interest, What happens when I delete a file? Depending on your level of caution you may want to start changing passwords on the assumption that somebody may have seen the contents. It could be nobody has, it comes down to how strongly you feel about your security. So at the very least you want to ensure it is deleted but it might be the perfect reason to renew all of your important passwords.

That would just seem to leave your query regarding where .agilekeychains can be stored. The answer you can store them anywhere you like. We have the default location that the program will choose but you're under no obligation to do so. You can come up with any folder hierarchy you like and tell 1Password to use a particular folder.

Hopefully some of those responses help but if you have any followup questions do please ask :smile:

This discussion has been closed.