How to upgrade to 5.3

Options
jprider
jprider
Community Member

I installed 1Password 5 from the app store. Previously I had 1Password 3 (The chrome browser extension is 3.9.22.1). How do I import my previous data? I have a keychain file at the following location:

"~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.keychain"

Importing and using an existing keychain didn't work.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jprider,

If the file you found in Library/Application Support/1Password/ is called 1Password.agilekeychain, you should be able to use that to get your data into 1Password 5. To make it a bit easier, make a copy of that .agilekeychain on your Desktop, where it's easier to find. Then you can follow these steps:

• Open 1Password 5 and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences
    • Select Sync, then choose Folder from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu
    • Choose your .agilekeychain file

Does that help? Please let us know how it goes, and if you're still having trouble, we'll continue from there.

• jprider
    jprider
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the file 1Password.agilekeychain does not exist, but 1Password.keychain does:

$ ls ~/Library/Application\ Support/1Password/
    1Password.keychain Agent              Cache              Extensions         Fill               License

1Password5 won't open 1Password.keychain as you suggest. I also tried renaming it to 1Password.agilekeychain, but that didn't work either.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jprider,

Do you still have the main 1Password 3 app installed on your Mac? (You mentioned the Chrome extension for 1Password 3, but I'm not sure if you also have the main app.) If you do, please follow these steps to confirm the location of your data:

• Open 1Password 3 and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences
    • Select the General tab
    • Check the file path under Data File - that should show the location of a .agilekeychain data file
    • Right-click somewhere in the Data File path and choose Show In Finder
    • Copy the .agilekeychain file to the Desktop

If you're able to find that, you should now be able to follow the previous steps I gave you to sync that data to 1Password 5. Please let us know how it goes, thanks!

• jprider
    jprider
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

It turned out to be in the following location:
    ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/1Password.agilekeychain

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great, I'm glad you were able to find that! I'm assuming all went well as far as syncing data from that keychain to 1Password 5, but if you run into any issues with that or need anything else, don't hesitate to let us know - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.