iPassword 5 sync on iMac, MacBook Pro (AgileBits purchased) and iPhone (iTunes purchased) [Resolved]

Options
toeknee8
toeknee8
Community Member
edited May 2015 in Mac

I have been an AgileBits 1Password devotee since the beginning. I love it and have recommended it to many. However, I am really frustrated that I cannot easily sync my 1Password vault between my three Apple devices. Here's the reason:

1. My iMac and MacBook Pro have 1Password apps/licenses that I purchased directly from AgileBits (therefore I can't do iCloud syncing)
  2. I use dropbox accounts for both personal (iMac) and work (MacBook Pro). Since Dropbox only allows one Dropbox account per computer, that's not an option. (Yes, I have tried the dual-dropbox workarounds, but they are messy and insecure).
  3. The only option left is WiFi sync, no? This seems like a non-option.

Please help. I can't be the only one in this situation.

Tony

1Password Version: 5.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: WiFi?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @toeknee8,

Although the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac doesn't have the iCloud sync option, there are definitely other options to sync your 1Password data.

Your best option might be Dropbox sync. Even if you use a different Dropbox account on each Mac, you can share your 1Password sync data from one Dropbox account to the other. We have steps to set that up in this knowledgebase article.

Another option would be to sync your iPhone with one Mac via Wi-Fi sync, and keep the Macs in sync with each other using the Folder sync option with another sync service.

I hope that helps! If you have more questions about that, just let us know. :)

• toeknee8
    toeknee8
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Okay, I'm trying the first solution. So, in order to have the most updated vault (MacBook Pro) is the one that the iMac syncs to, and not the other way around, I'll set it up on the laptop first.

Also, if my vault is shared on my work Dropbox that I share with other people, the vault is still secure because they don't have the master password, correct?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @toeknee8,

So, in order to have the most updated vault (MacBook Pro) is the one that the iMac syncs to, and not the other way around, I'll set it up on the laptop first.

The sync works in both directions, so it shouldn't really matter which one you set up first, but if you have all your 1Password data on your MacBook Pro, then yes, it probably makes sense to set it up there first.

Also, if my vault is shared on my work Dropbox that I share with other people, the vault is still secure because they don't have the master password, correct?

Yes, that's absolutely correct! Your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES, and even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your master password. To learn more about cloud data security, please take a look through our Knowledgebase article on Cloud Security.

We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

• toeknee8
    toeknee8
    Community Member
    Options

Great, thanks for the help. It's all set up after a whirlwind of Dropbox updating. This makes me very content.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @toeknee8 ,

I'm so glad to hear that Drew's instructions got you all sorted out - thanks for letting us know!

Since this particular issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support+forum@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.