Saving password but not Username?

Options
ralphie119
ralphie119
Community Member
edited May 2015 in Mac

I find that it always seems to save the PW and never the username, so I've had to manually go in and edit each entry to add the username. Am I missing a setting for OSx or something??

thanks

1Password Version:_latest
_Extension Version:
latest
OS Version: latest
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ralphie119,

I'm sorry you're having trouble saving usernames in your Login items! That's strange, and isn't something that should normally happen (at least, not with most websites).

First, can you please check to make sure you're saving Login items by following the steps here: Saving a Login

If you're following those steps to save Logins, but the usernames aren't being saved, can you let us know some of the URLs for websites where you've had this problem?

Also, if you open the main 1Password app, try checking both the Logins and Passwords categories in the left sidebar. Which ones have you been checking to see if they saved the username? Password items are created when you use the password generator in the 1Password extension, as a safety net in case you don't end up saving or updating a Login item with the new password. On the other hand, Login items should normally save both your username and password that are used to sign into a website.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

• ralphie119
    ralphie119
    Community Member
    Options

Upon further inspection - I've found that the majority of logins stored do also have usernames, so I guess it's only some that do not. Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ralphie119,

I'm glad it's working correctly for the majority of websites where you're saved Login items!

For those that did not save the username, do any of those ask for the username on one page, then ask for your password on the next page? If so, you'll need to follow our steps to create a multi-page Login.

If you're finding other sites where 1Password doesn't save your username when you save a new Login item, please let us know the URL and we'll be happy to look into that. Thanks!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I get the same problem but in my case it's due to the changing of passwords. I have to manually save logins, otherwise it might not fill properly.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

Do you mean you save new Login items from the "change password" pages of websites? If so, that will save the fields on that page, and in my experience, "change password" forms don't usually include the username.

The best way to save a new Login item is normally from the main login form of a website, so 1Password will save the information it needs to fill your login credentials in the future. If you aren't automatically prompted to save a Login item (or if you need to create a new one because the older one doesn't work correctly), you can follow the steps here to save one (which might be what you're already doing).

If you're having trouble with a Login and saving a new one doesn't solve the problem, just let us know and we'll be happy to help. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Drew_AG,

Do you mean you save new Login items from the "change password" pages of websites? If so, that will save the fields on that page, and in my experience, "change password" forms don't usually include the username.

That's what I meant.

I have no issues doing that:

The best way to save a new Login item is normally from the main login form of a website, so 1Password will save the information it needs to fill your login credentials in the future. If you aren't automatically prompted to save a Login item (or if you need to create a new one because the older one doesn't work correctly), you can follow the steps here to save one (which might be what you're already doing).

The issues crop up when I try to update passwords. Gmail's new logon screen have been interfering with my logins. It's an observation though not extensive as I would have to look at Mac, Windows and iOS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

Indeed. While 1Password does it's best with 'password update' forms, sometimes it just falls flat. Be sure to report these via our Synapse website issue tracker so we can work to improve this going forward! :)

• love1pass
    love1pass
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

This is the most annoying thing, actually the one annoying thing about 1password. I will end up saving a password on a reset pass link. You would think that it would pick up the username upon next login but it does not. I wish there was a single key you could hold as you click the submit button, that would automatically update the login info.

I can't be the only one who regularly ends up with 3 passwords for the same site, one or none of which actually work. This was never an issue with other password filling systems, most of which have a hotkey you can press to update the site pass.

All this could be fixed with an "Update Login" Hotkey, like roboform has.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @love1pass,

I will end up saving a password on a reset pass link. You would think that it would pick up the username upon next login but it does not.

Do you mean that your Login item is saved with your password but no username? If so, are you saving that Login item from the page with the "reset password" form? If that form doesn't have you enter your username, that would explain why no username is saved in that Login. In that case, it sounds like you go back to the main login form for that site and enter your username and password, and are hoping 1Password will offer to update your Login item with the username?

1Password will prompt you to save/update a Login item if it detects that you've filled in a password field on a website (and if you don't already have a Login item for that site with the same password). When that happens and you save a new Login item, 1Password will also save the other fields you've filled out (such as the username). Otherwise, it won't offer to update a Login item if the only thing that changed is the username, because that's just a regular text field and not typically different from any other type of text field you might use on a website.

The best way to save a new Login is from the main login form on a website, so 1Password can capture all the data necessary for filling that form in the future. However, if you end up with a Login item that only has your password, you can often simply edit that Login item to add your username. Alternately, you can manually save a new Login item.

I wish there was a single key you could hold as you click the submit button, that would automatically update the login info.

That sounds like a great idea to me, and although I can't promise anything, I can forward that to our developers. I think that would be pretty useful! :)

I can't be the only one who regularly ends up with 3 passwords for the same site, one or none of which actually work.

I'm not quite sure how that would happen. Are you manually saving a new Login for a site where you already have an existing Login item? If so, that creates a separate item in 1Password, so you would need to delete the other one if you don't want to keep it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

All this could be fixed with an "Update Login" Hotkey

@love1pass: I like the idea in principle, but in practice this still places a burden on the user to 1 know about the 'update login' hotkey, 2 remember the need to press the 'update login' hotkey, and 3 press the 'update login' hotkey at the correct time.

It may, however, be worth investigating having both options available. Thanks for the feedback! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.