Feature Request: Keyboard Shortcut to Display a Specific Tag

Options
alanthonyc
alanthonyc
Community Member

Hello,

It would be great if I could click a shortcut, then select a tag to display all the entries associated with that tag.

Thank you!
Anhtony

1Password Version: 5.3 (530029)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alanthonyc,

Thanks for sending us your request! Would you be able to elaborate a bit on exactly what you'd like to be able to do? Selecting a Tag in the left sidebar of the main 1Password app (or from the Tags submenu in 1Password mini) will show you all the items with that same tag. Are you asking to be able to use a keyboard shortcut to jump directly to a Tag instead of clicking on it or using the arrow keys? Is that something you want to do in the main app, or in 1Password mini, or both?

• alanthonyc
    alanthonyc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

Yes, that's exactly right. (Using the main app) I want to be able to pick a tag without having to pick up the mouse. Is that already possible?

(After I pick a tag, I do a cmd-F, Enter, scroll through the list of logins to the one I need, then do a shift-cmd-C to copy the password I need.)

Thanks,
    Anthony

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alanthonyc,

Yes, it's definitely possible to select your Tags in the sidebar of the main app without using the mouse. You can do that using the Tab and arrow keys. Our user guide article on 1Password (app) shortcuts describes how the Tab key works in 1Password:

Starting from a selected category in the sidebar, the first tab will change the focus to the search field, the second tab will change the focus to the “sort by” column header, and the third tab will change the focus to the item list.

It's not as easy as a dedicated keyboard shortcut, but maybe that will be helpful for you?

You mentioned selecting a Tag before using ⌘F to do a search for a Login item. In case it helps, I wanted to mention that the Search tool in 1Password will search all your items, not just the ones you're currently viewing. So if you happen to know which Login item you want, you don't need to select a tag in the sidebar at all, you can simply press ⌘F and type the Login item you want.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you have more questions about that.

• alanthonyc
    alanthonyc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again @Drew_AG,

Thank you, I can make that work!

In my case, I would just make sure to do a cmd-F whenever I cmd-Tab from another application. I can then Shift-Tab to the tag list if I need to.

Separately: doing a search for a tag name in the search field doesn't actually bring up all items that have a given tag. (e.g. searching for "email" doesn't bring up all items that are tagged with "email".) Was this a deliberate choice? I think I can see where it could clutter up search for some people. In my case, it would make it that much faster to pull up what I need (tagged by project name, in this case).

Thanks again for all your help,
    Anthony

p.s. Let me know if you want me to open a separate ticket for my search field question so you can close this one.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alanthonyc,

You can search for a tag from the search bar but it doesn't do it by default. When you perform a search you should find a button appears at the bottom of the filtered list, it's titled Expand Search to All Fields. When you search all fields it does include the tag field. Now it isn't perfect, it will include all the items with that tag and any other items that had that string present for whatever reason. If your tags are unique enough then the results will be equivalent (it's just there isn't a guarantee).

What isn't currently part of the preferences is a way of altering this from within the main 1Password window. This means you have to click on the button each search.

I wonder if you might find 1Password mini more suited for your needs. You can open 1Password mini from anywhere using the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ and oddly enough you can configure ;p1 mini to permanently search all fields instead of just titles and fillable URLs. To change this behaviour you'd open 1Password mini and then click on the cog in the top right hand corner. The currently select option Search Titles & Fillable URLs should be ticked but you can change that to Search All Fields You can navigate 1Password mini with the arrow keys in a way you find more useful to your workflow. If you have a password field highlighted and tap enter it will copy the field's contents (the password) to the clipboard and dismiss 1Password mini, returning focus to the previous application.

Could that work better for you?

• alanthonyc
    alanthonyc
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @littlebobbytables,

Thank you for your thorough responses. I really appreciate the diligence you and @Drew_AG have put into answering my questions. I believe I have enough to help make my workflow better than it is.

The combination of the Mini-app tips you gave and tabbing around in the main app is quite helpful for me.

Thanks again!
    Anthony

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad we could help @alanthonyc, tidbits like that is one of the things the forums taught me too when I first signed up :smile:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm also learning new stuff everyday @alanthonyc,

Today I learned about this obscure menu.

So when I said you couldn't set the main window to always search all fields I was wrong. If you click that small caret or the magnifying glass next to where you type you will get this menu and that should allow you to search in a better way in the main window but in a permanent way. Again, hope this all helps :smile:

• alanthonyc
    alanthonyc
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

:)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry, I should have mentioned that setting when I said the Search tool will search all your items. But I'm glad littlebobbytables was able to help clear that up! :)

This discussion has been closed.