How to access iCloud when bought 1Password through direct download?

Nick_Ryan
Nick_Ryan
Community Member

I bought 1Password through the Agile Bits store with all the features, including iCloud sync, as advertised. Now that I downloaded it, I see that I can only use iCloud sync if I would have downloaded through the Apple Store. This is a major disappointment. Is there a way around this? If not, I believe it is fair to ask for a free download from the App Store to use the iCloud sync (as promised in product marketing) as I have already purchased a license for this product.

Many thanks.

1Password Version: 5.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

If you bought your license from the AgileBits web store within the last 30 days, they will cheerfully issue a refund so that you can purchase a copy from the Mac App Store. If you used the same email address for your purchase as you did to register for this forum, and you meet the time window for a refund, all you'll need to do is confirm here that you do indeed wish to have a refund. Someone from AgileBits will be along to connect your email address to your license records to verify your license and when you bought it.

If you used a different email address, send your request to support+licenses@agilebits.com. Include a link to this thread and the email address you used to buy your copy. You'll receive an automated reply that includes a ticket number. You can speed things up by returning here and posting that ticket number.

If your purchase was outside the 30 day refund window, you'll have to buy another copy from the Mac App Store to se iCloud for syncing. I know people have strong preferences about this, but let me just add that Dropbox is a reliable alternative cloud solution that you can use with the license you have.

If you bought your license recently, the AgileBits web site does warn users that they need the version from the Mac App Store if they want access to iCloud for syncing.

I don't work for AgileBits; I'm a community volunteers, but I'm sure an AgileBits person will be along shortly to follow up.

• lfriderichs
    lfriderichs
    Community Member

I am a legacy user of 1Password and upgraded to 1Password via the internet. This generated a problem rendering 1Password unable to sync via iCloud due to this service only working if you purchase 1Password via the Apple store.
    i strongly suggest taking this option out of your menu as its damaging your brand. Secondly Can you rectify this for me by providing a key code to purchase 1Password or a refund of the amount of 1Password in the USA store so I can download via the Apple Store and thus sync across my devices correctly.

Thanks a stack.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
    Extension Version: 4.3.1 ( latest version )
    OS Version: OSX 10.10
    Sync Type: iCloud

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

I discussed this situation with another user here.

To that I'll emphasize that you still can sync your data "correctly" via Dropbox.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Nick_Ryan,

iCloud sync is only available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac because it uses Apple's new CloudKit technology, which can only be used by apps sold through the Mac App Store. We'd absolutely love to be able to include that in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password as well, but unfortunately that's not currently possible. We have more information about that in these knowledgebase articles:

Unfortunately Apple doesn't currently provide a way to convert a license for the AgileBits Store version of 1Password to the Mac App Store version. So if you wanted the Mac App Store version of 1Password, you would need to purchase that separately. I wasn't able to find your license under the email address associated with your forum account, but if you purchased 1Password from the AgileBits Store, you'll need to switch to Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync.

I'm very sorry for any confusion about that! If you have more questions about your sync options or need help to set that up, please let us know.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lfriderichs,

I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your message with the discussion from hawkmoth's link, since they are both about the same thing. Please take a look at the previous responses from me & hawkmoth here for more information about that. I'm very sorry for any confusion!

I did want to ask you about one thing:

i strongly suggest taking this option out of your menu as its damaging your brand.

Do you mean that you see an iCloud option in the sync settings of the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac? I'm not sure how that would appear there, so I may have misunderstood what you meant.

• lfriderichs
    lfriderichs
    Community Member

However this was not made clear when purchasing the product online. Full functionally of the product is expected as a consumer and no caveat was outlined based on the purchase. Its not acceptable. The reason why I upgraded in the first place was to take advantage of the new iCloud integration.
    Hence why I stated its damaging to your brand. Its misleading and damaging to ongoing retention. Specifically when I purchased the product at the beginning, then upgraded again based on new functionality. I could have just stayed with the old 1password as it operated in the same way via wifi.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

From the AgileBits web Store:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lfriderichs,

I'm very sorry for any confusion about that! As hawkmoth's screenshot shows, we do mention this in the AgileBits Store. That's what it looks like when making a brand new purchase, so I double-checked what is shown when purchasing an upgrade, and a similar message is there as well. But I am sorry if you missed that - we certainly don't want to mislead anyone!

If you have more questions about your license/purchase, please feel free to send an email to support+licenses@agilebits.com (if you do, be sure to include a link to this thread as well as your forum username so we can "connect the dots"). License questions are sometimes easier to answer via email, in case we need any information that shouldn't be posted on these public forums.

Hence why I stated its damaging to your brand. Its misleading and damaging to ongoing retention.

I understand what you mean, and I absolutely agree - we don't want to mislead our customers. We work really hard to build a good relationship with our customers and would never want to damage that. The decision to switch to Apple's new CloudKit technology for iCloud sync in 1Password 5 wasn't made lightly, and there were lots of things to consider. Although the older iCloud document sync method used in 1Password 4 could be included in both the AgileBits Store and Mac App Store versions, there were problems with that which caused a poor experience for more than a few customers. CloudKit works much, much better, but unfortunately Apple limited it to apps they sold through their own stores. If you're curious, we have more information about that in this knowledgebase article.

Again, I'm very sorry if you feel mislead, as that was never our intention. If you have more questions or need anything else, please do let us know!

This discussion has been closed.