About the .opvault format support in 1Password for Windows

dwk
dwk
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm currently using 1password 4 for windows and this was my first 1password product I have ever purchased.

I recently found out that all future 1password products are going to use .opvault instead of .agilekeychain.

And mine uses .agilekeychain instead of .opvault.

I read about transition guide on windows modern alpha forum and there it says that making the transition might not work perfectly for there is no available tool designed specifically for this task.

1. Are you guys planning on releasing a tool specifically built for this to help us make the transition more flawlessly?
  2. I am no IT expert but I'm assuming that there is a solid reason behind using opvault instead of agilekeychain. It would be very nice if any of you can explain this in plain english
  3. If there is a clear advantage, should I make the transition immediately?

1Password Version: 4.5.0.574
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 8.1
Sync Type: manually

Comments

• @dwk - We have a great support article detailing the OPVault format here.
    You can transition to an opvault by exporting the data in your current vault to a 1PIF file and then importing the 1PIF file to your new OPVault as per this forum thread. The only caution with the import is if you have existing records in the vault you are importing into and you have a duplicated record in the import file. You need to be aware if you want to overwrite existing record. In this case your existing vault would be empty.
    There is no need to make the transition immediately unless you are wanting to alpha test the new 1Password for Windows modern app.
    I hope this helps.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

There is no need to make the transition immediately unless you are wanting to alpha test the new 1Password for Windows modern app.

And even then, you are creating a second vault to test on. You are not converting your main vault to opvault to test the Modern app as alpha software has a high risk of data loss or corruption.

• Thanks Richard for adding that note - yes if you are wanting to use the OPVault format for alpha testing the new 1Password Windows Modern app, it's best not to use live data. I used a subset for my test vault.

• dwk
    dwk
    Community Member

Thanks a lot for the reply!

• On behalf of the team here, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.