Specify in the blog posts about platform exclusive features and include Windows tags [We'll try]

reck
reck
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

There’s been some interesting Blog posts recently with some useful tips. However the last two that I’ve read are talking about features I’ve never come across before so I’m guessing they are well hidden or they are only for the mac version. From past experience I’m guessing these are further examples of the mac version being more advanced than the PC version and these features have simply never been implemented on the PC?

https://blog.agilebits.com/2015/05/15/staying-on-top-of-deadlines-and-expiry-dates/

https://blog.agilebits.com/2015/05/29/quick-tip-migrate-your-details-between-1password-items/

The post doesn’t mention specifically mention mac it just say “look at what cool things you can do with 1Password”. Can someone please confirm if custom fields and mini 1Password are exclusive to the MAC? If so it might be worth somehow tagging the blog posts so us PC users don’t get excited (or frustrated) about features that don’t exist for us.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @reck,

Thanks for taking the time to write.
    You are right, these two tips are, for now, exclusive to 1Password 5 for Mac.

The tips in "Staying on top of deadlines and expiry dates" are not aplicable to the Windows version yet, because it doesn't have the concept of saved searches and smart folders like the Mac version has.
    The second article you linked to, "Migrate your details between 1Password items", can't be used in the Windows version, yet, because an item can't be opened outside of the main app.

Both are feature requests that we're very much aware of.

However,

I’m guessing these are further examples of the mac version being more advanced than the PC version and these features have simply never been implemented on the PC?

that is not the case. Each of our apps is built optimised for the environment it will be used in. That sometimes means that not all apps have the same feature set.
    Let me give you two counter-examples of 1Password 4 for Windows having features the Mac version doesn't have — again: yet.

1. Auto-Type, a very useful feature that lets you fill logins in non-browser applications.
    2. Diceware as an option in the strong password generator.

I hope you find this information useful.

Cheers!

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Hello Alex,

Each of our apps is built optimised for the environment it will be used in. That sometimes means that not all apps have the same feature set.

I understand that when you’re comparing the desktop app to the phone app, or the watch app but we’re talking about two desktop platforms here. If eventually the Windows app does get saved searches and smart folders for instance would this then make the Windows app un-optimised? I don't see why both desktop platforms can't have these features, which is all I’m asking for.

Let me give you two counter-examples of 1Password 4 for Windows having features the Mac version doesn't have

I knew Auto-Type and Diceware were going to be mentioned but honestly auto-type is used infrequently and I never use Diceware so the advantage isn't there for me.

Compare to the mac version.

• Smart Folders
    • Mini 1Password
    • Saved Searches
    • Single sign-on for multi-vaults
    • Improved interface - collapsible, scrollable sidebar, no wallet, tags in the UI.

Some of these mac features i'd use constantly and they bring much more benefit to the user IMO than auto-type and Diceware. Just typing in my master password once so I can access all my logins in different vaults would be worth it alone.

So with that in mind I stand by my claim the Mac client is better simply due to the better features and interface.

Those two blog posts are just a couple I picked out from May that are Mac exclusive. Just out of interest I wonder how many PC exclusives there has been flaunting features that the mac doesn’t have other than when a feature is first introduced into the product?

I know in the past you guys put more resources (developers) into the mac client but I think the PC client suffers because of this. Maybe things have changed nowadays.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

If eventually the Windows app does get saved searches and smart folders for instance would this then make the Windows app un-optimised? I don't see why both desktop platforms can't have these features

@reck 1Password smart folders are closely tied to the predicate system on Mac and as such they do not transition to Windows. At least not easily.

I never use Diceware so the advantage isn't there for me

Maybe diceware isn't for you, but a quick search on our forum proves a lot of Mac users are asking for this.

no wallet (...) in the UI.

On Windows, you can turn OFF the Wallet group here: View > Wallet

the Mac client is better simply due to the better (...) interface.

Mac is Mac and Windows is Windows. 1Password is not an einheitsbrei app.

Just out of interest I wonder how many PC exclusives there has been flaunting features that the mac doesn’t have

I can brag about things that Windows has and Mac does not, but honestly, the 1Password feature set should be as consistent as possible across all supported platforms. I think this is where you and me are in agreement, and we must keep working on that.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

it might be worth somehow tagging the blog posts so us PC users don’t get excited (or frustrated) about features that don’t exist for us.

@reck You're right. I have forwarded your suggestion to the team. Thanks!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

1Password smart folders are closely tied to the predicate system on Mac and as such they do not transition to Windows. At least not easily.

The 1Password for Mac implementation may be tied to Predicates but the concept and algorithms for smart folders are not.
    Since the platforms don't share a code base I see the problem; unless it's the slow disk access caused by the lack of local db and its indexes.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Svondutch keep up the good work and we’ll get there eventually.

Einheitsbrei! I thought you might have been swearing at me to start with but I see what you mean after a bit of google translate.

• MikeT
    edited June 2015

Hi guys,

@RichardPayne,

The 1Password for Mac implementation may be tied to Predicates but the concept and algorithms for smart folders are not.

In order for us to support smart folders on all platforms, we would have to build a parser for reading OS X's complex predicates (yet alone write it ourselves) and include it in all of our apps. Unfortunately, it is not as easy as it sounds because they include dates, advanced regex and so on. In addition, this would require us to hope that they never change it, so that's not the way to do it. To do this properly with cross-platform support, we must come up with a completely different system for this. This is a much larger project and will take a while to figure out. Disk access isn't really the issue since we have tags support in 1Password for Windows and you can search for tags.

Right now, the only reason we have smart folders only on OS X is because Apple included a nice powerful stable API for it that's been around for several years. It also powers the UI for building smart folders. This is not something we can easily clone on Windows or any other platforms.

@reck:

Svondutch keep up the good work and we’ll get there eventually.

On behalf of Stefan, thanks. We will eventually get this to be consistent on all platforms.

Einheitsbrei! I thought you might have been swearing at me to start with but I see what you mean after a bit of google translate.

We apologize, we probably should be clear next time.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

We apologize, we probably should be clear next time.

No, no I was just joking. I think "mishmash" might be the nearest thing in English if I understood correctly, but Einheitsbrei sounds much more impressive.

• Cheers @reck!

We're multi-cultural over here :)

This discussion has been closed.