Trusteer in Chrome appears to interfere with 1Password extension installation

ChapmanRS
ChapmanRS
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

This problem started after the last update to 1Password.
I am running Windows 8.1 with all current updates.
I am running the latest version of Chrome browser, Version 43.0.2357.81 m, with the following extensions: - Trusteer Endpoint protection, Click&Clean, Blur, Adblock plus.
When attempting to add the 1Password extension, the Chrome browser opens but the Trusteer Green arrow is missing from the address bar and the browser hangs. In the system tray at the bottom of the screen, the 1Password padlock is locked, but you can still launch 1password by clicking on it and you can access the contents without entering a password. Subsequent attempts to open the chrome browser result in a browser hang. If you then launch 1password, select LOCK from the top menu, the 1password app then locks and behaves normally. You can then launch the chrome browser and it then works normally. If you again attempt to add the 1password extension and everything mentioned above starts again. I have completely removed Chrome and reinstalled it, but the above fault remains. Please help.

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575(12)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 6.2.9200
Sync Type: wireless

Comments

• ChapmanRS
    ChapmanRS
    Community Member

I have now added the latest 1Password Beta Extension and all is now working. The issue seems to revolve around the Trusteer Rapport extension, which tries to block unknown extensions from being added. Why the latest beta of the 1password extension works is a mystery to me.

• @ChapmanRS - thanks for letting us know about this. I'm glad the beta extension installed for you.

• @ChapmanRS Can you run a quick test for us?

1. Uninstall the 1Password extension in Chrome.
    2. Disable all extension in Chrome, including Trusteer Rapport.
    3. Close Chrome.
    4. Launch 1Password.
    5. In the preferences, instruct 1Password to install the Chrome extension.
    6. Select the beta extension.
    7. Once installed, check if the extension works.

If everything works, do another test run like this:

1. Uninstall the 1Password extension in Chrome.
    2. Disable all extension in Chrome, except Trusteer Rapport.
    3. Close Chrome.
    4. Launch 1Password.
    5. In the preferences, instruct 1Password to install the Chrome extension.
    6. Select the beta extension.
    7. Once installed, check if the extension works.

We'd be interested to see if and how bad Trusteer Rapport interferes with 1Password.

• ChapmanRS
    ChapmanRS
    Community Member

When I started my PC this morming the Beta version of the extension had stopped working. I removed the Beta version, disabled Trusteer Rapport, reinstalled the normal 1Password extension and everything worked fine. Since I did not want to run my browser without Trusteer running, I carried out the following actions: -

1. Remove the 1Password extension from Chrome
    2. Re-enable the Trusteer extension
    3. Left click on the Trusteer icon in the address bar and select "Open Console"
    4. Go to page 2 of the console and select "Edit Policy"
    5. Go down the list to the option that says, "Block unauthorised modules in browser", and change the selection from Always to Never
    6. Click save and exit the console.
    7. Open 1Password and add the normal Chrome Browser extension
    8. The 1Password browser extension now works fine and even loads the 1Password Helper Module a bit faster.

Going forward, someone will need to investigate what can be done to make the extension work when the option in line 5 above is changed back from Never to Always. Perhaps Trusteer could ber contacted to add your app as a trusted module.

Hope this helps
    Kind Regards
    Roy

• Thanks for testing this @ChapmanRS!

We're already in contact with IBM about another issue with Trusteer Rapport and will make sure that they are aware of this issue as well.

We'd be thankful if you could report this to them as well.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.