[Feature Request]: Ability to merge two identical Logins into one Login with multiple URLs

DJRiful
DJRiful
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

1password do support multi URL under 1 item but is there a way for us to manage the list to have merge both login into one?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DJRiful,

I do apologise but I'm not quite sure what you're wanting to do, could you explain in a little more detail for me please (sorry about that).

• DJRiful
    DJRiful
    Community Member

I was looking for an option I could merge 2 item into one. You can select which one to keep and etc.

Right now, I have to open both item and copy paste around.

• DJRiful
    DJRiful
    Community Member

Given the fact sometime the Save login made another copy for different URL but it's the same login account. Website registrations can be quick annoying and can be complex at some time.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DJRiful,

I've moved your request to the 1Password for Windows section given the screenshot you supplied.

In theory all versions of 1Password have code available for merging differences between items with the same UUID. How easy it could be re-used and if it would be useful to do so are different matters best left to the developers who have intimate knowledge of the code. It's also something that would have to be implemented per platform rather than in the extension browser.

• MikeT
    edited June 2015

Hi @DJRiful,

The main reason the extension doesn't allow you to pick a second Login to merge is that we intentionally disallow this as it could be a phishing attempt, it is best to avoid poisoning the existing data. If you know for sure two Login items are identical, you should be able to merge them in the main program.

Merging and/or converting items are something we'd like to add to the main 1Password program in the future and I'll add your vote to our list. Thanks for letting us know this is useful for you.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

We intentionally avoid merging anything that has separate URLs as it could be a phishing attempt, it is best to avoid poisoning the existing data.

Is that a realistic concern for a merge initiated by the main app? I agree that having the browser extensions do it would be risky.

• MikeT
    edited June 2015

Hi @RichardPayne,

Is that a realistic concern for a merge initiated by the main app? I agree that having the browser extensions do it would be risky.

No, in the main program, it should be safe to do so, which is why I mentioned it in the second section that it is something we'd like to add to 1Password.

I should've clarify the first line was for explaining why we don't allow the extension's auto-save to pick a second Login to merge with. I've updated the post, thank you. The OP was referring to the extension auto-save working on a separate URL, where as he already have an existing Login but with separate URL, which is why I wanted to point this out.

This discussion has been closed.