Will 1password remember my password for Quicken application)? [1Password can auto-type to fill in]

Dukebear69
Dukebear69
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I had the desktop version of 1Password open, then opened Quicken, which asked for a password. I was expecting 1Password to ask if it could save that password, but it didn't. So my question: does this application memorize passwords for desktop applications or not? If it does, what am I doing wrong? Thanks!

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
Extension Version: 4.3.1.90
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

No, auto-save does not work on gui apps because 1Password has no way to detect the login action.

In browsers they insert an extension that looks for an HTML form submit action. This isvpossible because of the standardised data submission standards that html/http offers.

You can fill app logins though in onecof two ways although require you to create the login entry manually.

1. When creating the login, ctrl+click on the add url button and it drop down a list of app windows. Select you app's login window and it will be stored in the url list. You can then use ctrl+\ to fill the login as you would for a website.
    2. If #1 fails for whatever reason then you can use auto-type. Select the login, click the auto-type button on thr toolbar and then select the app's login window.
  • Hi guys,

@Dukebear69,

To expand on what Richard said, in order for us to be able to do this, we have to inject ourselves into each application on your computer and detect what you're typing. As you might notice, that's actually the same as a malware infection, it's not a good idea for us to force our application to do this or risk getting removed by your security application and also risk losing our certificate that tells everyone if our application is legit.

The main reason this works in the browser is that the browsers allows developers to offer browser extensions, which then allows us to inject our scripts into web pages and detect your data to save or fill it. Other applications are not flexible like this.

We have a guide on how you can create application logins manually: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/creating-an-application-login

Note: Please remember to focus the username field of your application by clicking into it and then pressing Control + \ to have 1Password auto-type the data for you.

This discussion has been closed.