1P trial does not allow editing of passwords after only 5 days [Based on the date of the oldest item

wiechd
wiechd
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Can't edit usernames and passwords within a trial version that was installed 6 days ago. Is that normal and will go away if I buy a license?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Are you using an existing keychain? I think the trial mode restrictions are based on the created date of the oldest item in the vault, enter the installation date.

And yes, if you buy a license then there are no restrictions.

• wiechd
    wiechd
    Community Member

The described problem occurs on a windows version that is synch'ed via Dropbox with iOS versions. But I started all of that as a test only 5-6 days ago. So you're saying this is restricted mode behavior and not a bug or problem?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

The behaviour is normal but I think it should be 20 days not 5!

• @wiechd - the trial is good for 30 days so I apologize if these restrictions happened earlier. We offer a 30 day money back guarantee on any product purchased from our store, so if you go ahead and purchase just let us know within 30 days if you are not happy. But I'm sure you will love it :)

• Hi @wiechd,

Did 1Password notify you that your trial has expired and you can choose to continue? You should get more details in the main program's Help Menu > About 1Password.

If you don't want to buy 1Password just yet, we can help you extend the trial in a different way. Please email us at support+windows@agilebits.com with a link to this thread.

Thanks!

• wiechd
    wiechd
    Community Member

I actually bought the license. Now I have another problem. I'm struggling to update existing logins without having to copy and paste. Any suggestions?

• Hi @wiechd,

Can you explain a bit more about the issue, what's happening? It doesn't prompt to update the Login when you submit the password change?

• wiechd
    wiechd
    Community Member

On the windows version, when I try change the password everything gets messed up on a previously working login. For instance, I'm going into the password change screen of Microsft outlook and change the password but 1P never asks to save the changes and when I try to paste the generated PW into the 1P record it is gone so now I have recover the login with MS.

• MikeT
    edited June 2015

Hi @wiechd,

All of the passwords you record with our password generator are recorded in the Generated Passwords category inside the main 1Password program, you don't have to go through the recovery process with Microsoft or other sites.

Here's how:

1. Open the main 1Password program, unlock, and select the Generated Passwords category on the sidebar. If you don't see it, go to the View Menu to enable it.
    2. Sort the items by the modified dates header and you should find the password at the top, it should already record the site location that it was generated for. You can copy the password and edit the Login item to change the password manually.

This should be enough to let you get back in.

• wiechd
    wiechd
    Community Member

Thank you. But why is that happening? Am I doing something wrong? I expected 1P to detect that I'm changing the PW for an existing login and offer to save the change. Isn't that the intended functionality?

• MikeT
    edited June 2015

Hi @wiechd,

You aren't doing anything wrong, it should be intuitive for you and it should've prompt to update the Login. Unfortunately, not all sites are designed the same way that allows us to predict when you're changing the password but we are constantly working on updating our algorithms to detect the password changes better.

One thing you can do to help us improve this is to report the sites to us and we'll test to see how we can improve it. We'll add Outlook at our list to test soon.

One tip for next time is when you create a new password, copy it to your clipboard and submit the change. If the site did not cause 1Password to prompt to save the data, just log out and log back into with the new password. Usually the login page works much better than the change password page for 1Password to detect the change.

Just in case, can you confirm it does prompt to save new Logins for you?

This discussion has been closed.