WiFi sync of a particular vault with iOS device already using iCloud

Is the following possible for syncing a mixed Windows and Apple setup?

• Have separate Work and Home vaults
  • Work being the main vault on my Windows PC
  • Home the main vault on my Mac.
  • Sync the Mac Home vault with my iPhone and iPad devices via iCloud
  • Also sync the Windows Work vault with my iPhone over WiFi.

I expect I am not the only person running Mac at home and Windows at work.
On iOS is it possible to set the sync method per vault? Just to add Dropbox sync on Windows is not an option for me.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited June 2015

Hi @smythg,

Unfortunately, this isn't possible because both Wi-Fi sync and iCloud are only supported for the primary vault. In other words, you can only use Dropbox to sync the secondary vaults.

So, if you use either iCloud or Wi-Fi for the primary vault, you lose that support on the secondary vaults.

Your best option is: use Dropbox on Mac and iOS to sync your home vault as the secondary vault while using Wi-Fi sync for your work vault as primary on the iPhone.

• smythg
    smythg
    Community Member

Thanks MikeT. I don't want to use Dropbox so maybe I will have to have just one vault.

On Windows is the primary vault just your current one, so easy to switch primary? Can you change which Vault is primary on iOS / Mac? I cannot see an option to do this.

• Hi @smythg,

There is no concept of primary/secondary vaults on Windows, you just simply open the vault you want and 1Password will switch to it. 1Password on Windows doesn't have an internal database where everything is contained like on the Mac.

As for choosing the primary vault on Mac, you can't change this easily because the internal database is encrypted by the primary vault. The very first vault you open on the Mac will automatically be the primary vault. If you want to change this, you'd have to start over with a new database and re-import the data in the direction you want.

If you plan to merge both vaults into one vault, that shouldn't matter anymore since you'd only have one vault to worry about.

Is this what you'd like to do?

This discussion has been closed.