Using Internet Explorer as admin, the plugin doesn't work

Not sure if this is the limitation of running as elevated permissions, but in theory I would think the plugin might also run with said privileges. I guess it's a question if it can still talk to program that isn't running with the same permissions.

Get an errror with Chrome and Firefox about the code signature not being able to be verified when trying to use the plugin. IE just doesn't do anything.

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
Extension Version: 4.5.0.575
OS Version: Windows 8.1 Pro
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @pjarosak,

Not sure if this is the limitation of running as elevated permissions, but in theory I would think the plugin might also run with said privileges.

You should not be running Internet Explorer as an admin, that's a huge risk on its own. Any exploits would then be running as admin as well. In addition, plugins are sandboxed and separated into its own process, it is possible the process isn't elevated even if your browser is.

I guess it's a question if it can still talk to program that isn't running with the same permissions.

Unfortunately, yes, it won't be able to communicate with 1Password of lower level as it can't send data back to an elevated process. This is also true for our Auto-Type feature, it won't work on any elevated applications.

Get an errror with Chrome and Firefox about the code signature not being able to be verified when trying to use the plugin.

That's usually a side effect of a security program interfering with the communication, usually your anti-virus program. Can you tell us what you're running?

You can disable the code signature check if you want. We'd recommend configuring your AV program instead but to disable the code signature, this guide will explain: https://support.1password.com/invalid-code-signature-win/#disable-browser-code-signature-validation

• pjarosak
    pjarosak
    Community Member

Unfortunately, for what I was working on I had no choice about the admin level. At least as far as I could find, to bind to IIS on Windows 8 for debugging purposes, you have to run Visual Studio as an admin, which means when you launch the browser to debug, it also launched the web browser as an admin as well. Thanks for the tip on the security program. I'll look into my antivirus software some more to see what can be done as I get that sometimes on a non-elevated process with Firefox recently.

• Thanks for letting us know about the progress you've made.
    While some of the limitations Microsoft puts in place can be a nuissance, they are well-intentioned and serve to protect users.

As for the anti-malware software, which one are you using? We'd be happy to point you in the direction of a solution or at least a workaround.

This discussion has been closed.