correct pw not accepted on mac air

Options
hannes_bln
hannes_bln
Community Member

hey there,

everytime i try logging into 1pw on my mac air, the password is incorrect, although i know for sure it is correct. it worked before and it still works on my other mac.

i already reinstalled 1pw, shut down the mac air and tried after a fresh start, typed the pw somewhere else to be absolutely sure about it and pasted it into 1pw, but nothing works.

what else can i do?

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @hannes_bln,

So sorry you're having trouble unlocking your vault! I know how stressful that can be.

All the hints and tricks that might help in this situation have been compiled into this help article:
    My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

Hopefully one of those options will do the trick for you. If not, the last resort is to start over with an empty vault.

Good luck! We're crossing our fingers and toes for you!

• hannes_bln
    hannes_bln
    Community Member
    Options

i tried everything of that article, but nothing works.

my pw ist correct, for sure. it still works on my other mac and i typed it correctly.

the software just doesn't work right. i even don't get a password hint after typing wrong passwords on purpose several times.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hannes_bln,

You mentioned that it worked before on that Mac - did you do anything like change the master password before it stopped working?

Also, do you happen to use any special characters (i.e. non-ASCII) in your master password? If so, that might have something to do with the problem, as different computers can "receive" certain characters differently under certain circumstances. We have more information about that in this knowledgebase article.

Now, you mentioned you don't get a password hint, even after typing your master password incorrectly several times, and that seems strange. Do you get a password hint on your other Mac (i.e. the one where your master password still works) if you enter it incorrectly there? Are you using the same version of 1Password on both Macs? (You can double check by opening the main app on each Mac and going to 1Password > About 1Password). You may also want to check to see if you have multiple 1Password apps on the Mac where you're having the problem - for example, if you have both the AgileBits Store and the Mac App Store version installed, you might be opening the wrong one. (Take a look at this article for more information on how to check for multiple copies of 1Password.)

Do you have multiple vaults set up in 1Password on either Mac? On the Mac where you're having trouble, open the main 1Password app and go to the 1Password in the menu bar. Do you see an option for Switch to Vault? If so, check to make sure you're entering the correct master password for that vault, or switch to the correct vault.

You said it's still working on your other Mac, so if necessary, you can always start over with an empty vault on the Mac where you have the problem, then re-sync your data from the Mac where it works. When you open 1Password after following the steps to start over, you can choose the same sync method you've been using (for example, Dropbox).

I hope that helps. Please let us know how it all goes and if you have more questions. Thanks!

• hannes_bln
    hannes_bln
    Community Member
    Options

ahhhh, problem solved. somehow a different account from work was connected to 1pw. don't know why, but it doesn't matter. i just tried with that password and created a new vault to sync my data.

now i have to switch vaults before typing my pw, because my vault is not the primary vault, but that's no big deal. or is there a way to make the secondary vault the primary?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hannes_bln,

I'm glad you were able to figure that out, it certainly explains why you were having that problem! :)

There's no feature that lets you easily change which vault is the Primary, but it's possible to do that with some extra steps. Are both of your vaults (Primary/work, and secondary/personal) syncing with Dropbox? If so, you can follow these steps:

• First, just as a precaution, open 1Password and go to File > Backup to make a new backup of all the data.
    • Next, follow these steps to reset 1Password 5 for Mac.
    • After that, launch 1Password (it should be like running it for the first time).
    • Choose the option for I've used 1Password before.
    • Select the option to sync a vault from Dropbox, and choose the .agilekeychain you want to be the Primary vault on that Mac.
    • When prompted, enter the master password for that vault.
    • Once the Primary vault is set up, navigate to the Dropbox folder on that Mac.
    • Find and double-click on the .agilekeychain you want to be the secondary vault on that Mac.
    • When 1Password prompts you to create a new vault, enter its master password and click Create Vault.

If you aren't currently using Dropbox sync for both of those vaults, there are other options, so please let us know and we'll go over that with you. We're here for you if you have more questions about that!

This discussion has been closed.