Stop Dropbox.Inc error message [Issue with Windows trying to access Dropbox's shortcut]

jmellicant
jmellicant
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I don't use Dropbox and have no intention of starting an account. I would like to stop the ...

"Problem with Shortcut: The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Dropbox.Inc' refers to us unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and try again.'

...error message that pops up when I try to use 1Password 4. I paid for this but didn't realize it was so closely tied to Dropbox.

How do I stop these error messages?

Thanks - Jim

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @jmellicant - you don't need to use Dropbox with 1Password. Your 1Password vault can be stored locally. Can you check your 1Password vault location as follows -

Run 1Password.
    Go to Preferences > General - what is the vault location on this screen?

If it is pointing to Dropbox you can change the location by clicking on 'Choose Another'.

• jmellicant
    jmellicant
    Community Member

It's pointing to my OneDrive directory.

• Can you attach a screenshot showing that error message. I'm not too sure where it is coming from. Thanks!

• jmellicant
    jmellicant
    Community Member

More specifically C:\Users(myaccountname)\OneDrive\Documents\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain

• @jmellicant - Can you attach a screenshot showing that error message. I'm not too sure where it is coming from.

• jmellicant
    jmellicant
    Community Member

This pops up when I access file-preferences.

• AlexHoffmann
    edited June 2015

Hey @jmellicant,

When you click OK on the error message, can you access the General preferences?
    If so, can you please check if there a checkmark next to
    Scan Dropbox directory for 1Password vaults.

If there is one, please remove it and tell us if the error disappears.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jmellicant: Sorry for the confusion! This is a Windows error telling you that it's trying to open a shortcut on your system, but it can't because it's missing (possibly on a disconnected network share?) Since it do sounds like you don't even use Dropbox, the best thing to do would be to remove the broken link from your system.

Unfortunately there isn't much we can do to help with that, as it isn't related to 1Password. 1Password isn't actually tied to Dropbox at all; rather, 1Password writes your vault to disk, and if you put your vault in the Dropbox folder Dropbox will sync it.

This discussion has been closed.