• bswins
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • lstroud
    lstroud
    Community Member
    Options

I know this is way out of date and considerably late (since 4 will be coming out for the mac any day :)), however, I second the feature request. I don't think it sacrifices security to have a low security password and a high security password (in fact it increases the likelihood that your high security password is a better password).

To explain better, I'll reference a term from your blog: authorizing passwords vs secure passwords. In this case, there are a number of authorizing passwords that we would like to be able to autofill into a password field by using a lower security/simpler password. You would not be able to edit or reveal the text, but you could autofill. Yes, these passwords have to be unencrypted. So, they could be pulled out of memory or out of the clipboard, but they are not a huge loss. Having that capability would enable me to use a much longer pass phrase to secure my really sensitive data (credit cards, primary accounts, etc).

With the current implementation (both 1password4 on ios or 1password3 on mac), every mechanism that unlocks the app gives full access (read, write). Perhaps this would best be solved by allowed a quick access code based on a tag (low security,logins?), but not credit cards or accounts...I'm not sure. Either way, a reduced security mode would be real nice to have.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @lstroud,

We might consider adding Quick Unlock Code to 1Password for OS X but at the moment, it's not something we'll see right away when 1Password 4 for OS X is released but we'll keep it in mind as we work on it.

Note that, even if we did add Quick Unlock Code, it will act exactly like it does in 1Password 4 for iOS, you still have to enter your master password first before Quick Unlock Code can be used as the entire database is encrypted with your master password, therefore the 4-digit/Quick Unlock Code cannot be used first.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

This discussion has been closed.