Why you need 1Password [The choice to keep your encrypted data locally]

Peter_Pappas
Peter_Pappas
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Just received this email 5 minutes ago:

Dear OTHER PASSWORD PROGRAM USER,

We wanted to alert you that, recently, our team discovered and immediately blocked suspicious activity on our network. No encrypted user vault data was taken, however other data, including email addresses and password reminders, was compromised.

I left the name of the "other software" out so not to cause any problems. This just shows how serious the bad guys are in breaking into the computers of us "little guys" and how important it is to button down the security as best we can.

I believe 1Password does not store my info on their computers but all my information stays local on my own computer.A breach of one of the "cloud" password systems kind of leaves you hanging in the open. I am sure those folks are scrambling to fix the problem, but having the data local to me is one of the reasons i went with 1Password.

Peter

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited June 2015

Hi @Peter_Pappas,

We're sadden to hear what happened at LastPass, we wish them and the authorities all the best luck on tracking down the criminals. We're glad that the encrypted content was not breached and their customers can start the progress of changing the data soon. We think they did the right thing of informing their customers on what happened but more importantly, what to do next.

Regardless of what happens at our competitors, we do not wish this upon anyone nor do we wish this to be a bonus or advantage for 1Password, we want everyone to compete on the right things such as features, UI and so on that appeals to the customers. More importantly, we want everyone to be secure, regardless of what product they're using to make it happen and I think everyone else in the security industry wish the same.

Yes, choices are great to have and 1Password does have that choice to letting you keep the data locally and/or sync via Wi-Fi. 1Password does have the choice of syncing via Dropbox, so that is stored on Dropbox servers among other sync services such as iCloud and soon OneDrive via the 1Password for Modern app we're building.

This discussion has been closed.