Possible to link the browser extension against the Mac program instead of Windows [No]

Helladen
Helladen
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I bought a copy of the iOS and Mac Store copy, but I don't like the Windows app. I would like if the browser extension could work with my Mac rather than having to install it onto my Windows PC and buy another copy of the same program.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Helladen,

I bought a copy of the iOS and Mac Store copy, but I don't like the Windows app

I'm sorry you don't like the Windows desktop. What can we do to improve it for you?

I would like if the browser extension could work with my Mac

That's not possible. 1Password is designed to link against to your local data file on the drive, we don't store your data in the cloud that would enable our extensions to connect and download data. We are aware that many folks would like this support and we would consider it in the future as an option only.

rather than having to install it onto my Windows PC and buy another copy of the same program.

The 1Password extension needs the local program to decrypt and encrypt your data, it doesn't have any internal database, it communicates with the 1Password program to handle the filling and saving of data.

However, we do provide a bundle Mac+Windows license, so you don't have to pay the full price. If you'd like to get a discount for the Windows license that matches the bundle price, we can definitely do that for you, just email us your proof of purchase at support+windows@agilebits.com and we'll hook you up.

• Helladen
    Helladen
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

I managed to get a discount for the Windows app, but I recently have came to like it more. I just had trouble importing on the Windows version, the Mac version works way better overall though. Like, the way it retrieves the icons in Windows vs. Mac, and importing did not work on the Windows version in my experiences.

I came from Lastpass and exported my database to CSV. This is what I attempted to import from, and when you go to import, it requires that you click the drop down to allow you to select CSV files. You should always allow it to open all types of files, regardless of the dropdown. Possibly, make it all by default actually, because not many users will find this user-friendly.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

the way it retrieves the icons in Windows vs. Mac

@Helladen How is the Mac version better? From recent customer feedback, I understand the Windows version retrieves more icons than the Mac version does.

and importing did not work on the Windows version in my experiences

@Helladen Out of curiosity, how did this "not work"? I would love to reproduce and fix the problems you were having.

when you go to import, it requires that you click the drop down to allow you to select CSV files. You should always allow it to open all types of files, regardless of the dropdown

@Helladen That is exactly what it is designed to do, and it does for me. When I click on File > Import then the dialog defaults to "all formats". Am I missing something?

• Helladen
    Helladen
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

The Mac version has a better handling of settings, I like the way Firefox has all the settings in a dialog menu. This is how Apple and Mac typically handles settings, too, but I have seen you have got feedback on making both apps universally the same. It is awesome to put Windows optimizations in the Windows software, but I would rather both programs feel similar in both OS'. Windows is worse designed than Mac when it comes to UI anyway.

The import icons takes a long time, I would rather it did it automatically and removed from the menu bar entirely. I don't believe in automating tasks like this. If people don't want the rich icons, they should either them on or off, and automate them when new items are added automatically.

It seems to default to all formats now, maybe it was the Mac version actually... My bad.

I will do further tests to ensure importing does not work, it failed to import properly when I did it and had to resort to using the Mac app. Basically, I had to select the categories and such, like name, password, etc., and it didn't retrieve them correctly from the CSV file. After I set the defaults, it failed to import anything.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

The Mac version has a better handling of settings, I like the way Firefox has all the settings in a dialog menu.

@Helladen Wait, 1Password for Windows has all settings here: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) -- Am I missing something?

It is awesome to put Windows optimizations in the Windows software, but I would rather both programs feel similar in both OS'

@Helladen While I agree cross-platform consistency is super important, Mac is Mac and Windows is Windows. 1Password is not an einheitsbrei app.

Einheitsbrei apps are sub-standard on every platform and don’t take into account the little, loved by users, elements of the platform they are running on.

The import icons takes a long time, I would rather it did it automatically

@Helladen 1Password for Windows automatically downloads an icon for you when you create a new (Login) item. Unless you create all your (Login) items elsewhere, you should seldom need to download them from the app.

If people don't want the rich icons, they should either them on or off

@Helladen They can: View > Show Rich Icons

and automate them when new items are added automatically.

@Helladen This is exactly what 1Password for Windows does. Is this thing on for you? File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Logins > "Automatically download Rich Icons for new Logins"

• Helladen
    Helladen
    Community Member

My bad, I wasn't that familiar with the program.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@Helladen No problem! I do appreciate your feedback. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.