Application Login does not work with Final Fantasy XIV launcher

Options

Typing Ctrl+\ has no effect, even after adding the application following the instructions on the manual.

Clicking the Auto-Type icons next to the Username or the Password also do nothing, even after checking that the correct window was selected for auto-typing.

However, clicking the Auto-Type button in the toolbar correctly tabs to and fills in the password, leaving the initially selected username field blank. There is a username saved in the 1Password entry, and it is correctly used when I attempt to login to the online account management (in Firefox).

The auto-type for application login does work correctly with KeePass2 though, where I only need to hit Ctrl+Alt+A to fill both the username and the password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Kovensky,

This might have to do with the game launcher using a custom UI that we can't easily type into. We've seen this before for other game launchers and we don't have an easy workaround for them yet.

However, clicking the Auto-Type button in the toolbar correctly tabs to and fills in the password, leaving the initially selected username field blank.

Was the username field focused in Final Fantasy launcher first before you press the global Auto-Type button in the toolbar?

Also, can you edit the Login item for Final Fantasy Launcher, go to Auto-Type section to check the box next to Send Ctrl + A before Auto-Type to see if this works.

• Kovensky
    Kovensky
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, the username field was focused. When running auto-type from the UI it just switches fields and fills in the password, leaving the username blank (as if I had a username that was just empty string; though that's probably not the cause).

Setting the "Send Ctrl + A before Auto-Type" option had no effect. Interestingly, the launcher actually doesn't do anything even when I type Ctrl+A while there is something filled in the boxes. The only quick way to clear them seems to be to click the "X" icon that shows on the right side of non-empty boxes. Ctrl+Backspace for deleting a word at a time does not work either.

• MikeT
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @Kovensky,

We'd like to test the launcher but do you know if it requires the entire game to be downloaded? I know the last game we tried, it required 30GB and further patches before it allow us to use the launcher.

Setting the "Send Ctrl + A before Auto-Type" option had no effect. Interestingly, the launcher actually doesn't do anything even when I type Ctrl+A while there is something filled in the boxes. The only quick way to clear them seems to be to click the "X" icon that shows on the right side of non-empty boxes. Ctrl+Backspace for deleting a word at a time does not work either.

All of the more reasons we can't type it in as if the launcher has the control of what goes in, not us. I'm not sure we can work around this, unfortunately.

However, we'll keep looking for a different way to type in your data for these type of apps.

• Kovensky
    Kovensky
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

It does not require the entire game to be downloaded upfront, but it will attempt to download everything (total size of about 17 GB) as soon as you authenticate; that can however be immediately cancelled.

It used to require purchasing the game and authenticating your installation before it would show you the regular login screen, but it's now possible to get a free trial; see the http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=5382&kid=70929 page for instructions.

However, we'll keep looking for a different way to type in your data for these type of apps.

KeePass2 (a GPL2 application, so I'm not sure if its source code can be used as reference) is capable of doing input on the launcher through a global shortcut key (Ctrl+Alt+A by default). I did notice that the method of input seems to be different from what 1Password does -- while when I can make 1Password fill the password field it is filled instantly, KeePass2 seems to fill them one character at a time (takes about a second to fill both the username and password fields).

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Kovensky,

Thanks for the info on the game, we'll take a look and see what we can do.

As for filling in differently, we have something like it for certain apps like Skype where we try to use your clipboard as an alternative, this is likely the same thing we have to do for FF7 launcher. We just need to test it in person before we hardcode the alternative solution for it.

This discussion has been closed.