iPad setup help

Drewski
Drewski
Community Member
Synchin windows, dropbox and the iPad
Hello all,

I am a new user of 1password and have successfully installed Dropbox and 1P on my PC. I also have Dropbox and the iPad version of 1P on my IPad.
At this point, I have the file 1Password.agile systems in the ipad Dropbox. When I start the iPad 1Password program and choose synch existing, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Drewski!

Sorry for the confusion here. We are planning on updating the app, but right now only Wi-Fi syncing is supported from the welcome screen. To set up Dropbox syncing, please tap "New Database."

Once you have created a master password for 1Password on your iPad (which can be different from your Mac if you choose), please go to Settings > Sync > Dropbox to set up Dropbox syncing.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Cheers,
  • mec
    mec
    edited April 2011
    "We are planning on updating the app"

Please do this soon.

I just bought my mom an iPad and 1Password was the first app I bought for her.
    Her database is on dropbox, and the iPad app gave no clear guidance on how to do this right the first time.

The setup over the phone from 2700 miles away was a failure and a disappointment.
    Leaving users to scour the forums to ferret out answers is a rough start.

It's taken me much too long to dig this up and I totally missed this line of fine print in the web based setup guide:

"If this is the first time you’re using 1Password on your iOS device,
    >>>>>> create a new database on your... iPad before setting up Dropbox sync <<<<<<<<<

This is quite a hole for us to fall into.
    This not at all obvious to a user.

Please add a third choice to the startup screen on iOS: "setup using dropbox sync" and then please guide the user through the appropriate steps.

Thanks

-mec
  • Drewski
    Drewski
    Community Member
    Thanks Khad..

That seems to have worked fine but I would echo the sentiment that your documentation is lacking. I am a long time forum user so for me this an acceptable way to get support but as the previous post indicates it isn't for everyone.

As an aside, when I tried to ad agile forums to mu 1P, it wouldn't work! Comments?

Drewski
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, mec! That's great that you bought your mom an iPad. I'll bet she really loves it. :-)

Please do this soon.

I don't have a time frame for a specific release, but please know that this something we are working hard to resolve. It is a busy time at Agile as we prepare for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, a new data format, and much more. Making syncing easier is one thing we all agree needs to happen.

I am sorry I can't say that it is already done, but the work is in progress. Thank you for your constructive criticism. We really appreciate the feedback!

As an aside, when I tried to ad agile forums to mu 1P, it wouldn't work! Comments?

Were you trying to add the login on your iPad or your PC? Could you describe in a bit more detail what steps you took and where things seemed to be going wrong? I would love to get this resolved for you.
  • Drewski
    Drewski
    Community Member
    I resolved the login to Agile by trying a few more times, and it worked.

Am I correct that the 1P for the Ipad only allows one instance of the built in browser at a time? In other words, I can not open two sites simultaneously?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    I am glad you were able to get it working. Could you say what sort of trouble you were having or what you did differently to resolve the issue?

Am I correct that the 1P for the Ipad only allows one instance of the built in browser at a time? In other words, I can not open two sites simultaneously?

At this time, that is correct. Thanks for letting us know you would appreciate multiple tabs in 1Password's built-in browser. This is something we are excited about introducing in the future. Again, no promises, but we are working hard to make a lot of improvements that I think you will enjoy!
  • Drewski
    Drewski
    Community Member
    I can not tell you what the difference in the attempts to login was that made it work.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad everything is working well regardless. :-D

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.