1Password doesn't open in Firefox 38.0.5 with 1Password 4.2.51 extension [Secure Desktop issue]

This discussion was created from comments split from: my firefox toolbar icon for 1password is not working.

Comments

• GreatRaymondo
    GreatRaymondo
    Community Member

I am having the same issue on Windows 8.1 with Firefox 38.0.5, 1Password 4.5.0.575 and Firefox extension version 4.2.5.1

Click the 1Password icon and it flashes both my screens but does nothing else.

Tried removing and re-installing the extension but it still doesn't work.

• Hi @GreatRaymondo,

I've split your post from the other thread as it is not related due to the versions you're using.

You said both of your screen flashes, what do you mean exactly? Does it cover the whole screen with a color at once before it disappears?

If yes, do you use the Unlock on Secure Desktop feature for the extension? Try this:

1. Open the main 1Password program and unlock it
    2. Press the Preferences button on the toolbar
    3. Go to the Browsers section and uncheck the box next to Unlock on Secure Desktop. Make sure the second checkbox is checked for When unlocking the application, also unlock 1Password in the browser and press OK.
    4. Restart the browser and try again, does 1Password behave better?
  • GreatRaymondo
    GreatRaymondo
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT

Wow you really know your stuff; that works a treat!

Have I discovered a bug there, or could be be an issue with my operating system? I do happen use the secure unlock feature on the web browser. Disabling was the answer. I guess the black flasking of the screens was the operating system trying to open the unlock dialog in it's usual "detached" environment.

Thanks for your help.

GR

• Hi @GreatRaymondo,

In the majority of the cases that we've investigated, it was an issue with Windows. You are correct, it flashes as it tries to move you to a separate isolated desktop but when it couldn't bring our prompt up, it bought you back. In addition, it is Windows that set up the separate desktop..

The stranger part is that in 99% of the cases, it was mostly isolated to Windows 7. Which made sense to us as they improved it greatly starting with Windows 8 and newer releases.

Do you have a security program that could prevent stuff like this, like an anti-virus tool that might think something strange is going on? I'd suggest checking your security logs for something called consent.exe, which is the process that Windows uses to generate the separate desktop.

• GreatRaymondo
    GreatRaymondo
    Community Member

Well, the secure unlock works for the main app, so it probably isn't realted to the anti-virus. I also disabled the AV temporarily to try it out on the web browser but the same thing still happens.

I could try re-installing Firefox to see if that fixes things.

• GreatRaymondo
    GreatRaymondo
    Community Member

Chrome and IE do the same thing. So there's something somewhere...

• Hi @GreatRaymondo,

I could try re-installing Firefox to see if that fixes things.

No need, that shouldn't do anything. When you click on the icon in Firefox or use the shortcut, the extension sends a call to 1Password Helper to bring up its menu, which would trigger the secure desktop. The extension itself doesn't have any UI code, all of this is being handled by the Helper in a separate background service.

Chrome and IE do the same thing. So there's something somewhere...

I was just about to ask you to try it in other browsers. That confirms that it is not the extension but something on the Helper side. The process for Helper is Agile1pAgent.exe.

Beside the anti-virus solution (can you tell us what AV it is?), do you have any other security tools, something that monitors what you're doing on the computer?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@MikeT I have experienced this on occasion (Win 7 and Win XP). In my experience it seems to occur when the system is heavily loaded already.
    Is there a timeout on the OpenDesktop call?

• Hi @RichardPayne,

That's an interesting observation, let me ask @svondutch and get back to you on that.

• GreatRaymondo
    GreatRaymondo
    Community Member

@MikeT It's McAfee anti-virus. I'm not aware of any other restrictive software on the PC. I'm fairly minimal with software, as it goes - but you never know, there could be something I'm not aware of.

McAfee has been on the machine for a long time but this extension issue is only recent. I was just looking at any recent software I've installed but I can't see anything untoward.

Any ideas on what I can try next? Safe mode, something like that, perhaps?

• MikeT
    edited June 2015

Hi @GreatRaymondo,

That's unusual as we haven't seen many problems with McAfee either.

You can certainly try rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking to test this theory with McAfee. One thing you can do is check McAfee's logs to see if it blocked anything as soon as you use the extension and/or disable McAfee completely to test how the extension works with Secure Desktop.

This discussion has been closed.