How to use WiFi Sync for Mac and Windows PC [Not recommended]

robcal
robcal
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I recently added a Windows PC (required for work) to my mix of iOS devices and Macbook Air. They Apple products currently use WiFi Sync to stay in sync - I prefer WiFi Sync as it keeps my data on my local network.

Now that I've added a Windows PC I've not been able to figure out how to get the PC to sync with the other devices. It seems that PC wants to be the WiFi Server just as my Mac is today. Is there anyway to do this?

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7
Sync Type: WiFi Sync

Comments

• LauraR
    edited June 2015

@robcal - Wi-Fi sync is only available between a single Mac or PC and one or more iOS devices. If you are syncing with multiple desktops and one of them is a Windows PC we recommend using Dropbox. We have great guides to help you set this up -

As an alternative to Dropbox you can use Folder sync to sync between your Mac and Windows PC and then WiFi sync to your devices. You can read more about Folder Sync here.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Bear in mind the huge cavaet that syncing to a network share is no recommended so I'm not sure how folder sync is any use for syncing to another pc.

• MikeT
    edited June 2015

Hi guys,

@RichardPanye is correct to point this out. Folder Sync is merely to allow 1Password for Mac to give you a sync folder that it'll monitor for changes but it requires you to have a separate sync tool to sync between computers. You simply use the sync folder to push to the other computer.

Many of our users use BitTorrent Sync, rsync (for power users), robocopy, and so on. The method for the most restricted setup (like work not allowing app installs but okay with USB drives) is to copy the sync folder on Mac to a USB drive, from USB to PC, and when you're done with changes on the PC, vis versa with transferring from PC to USB to Mac. You should be careful to overwrite the whole folder at once.

This discussion has been closed.