Future of Windows Desktop version with the Windows Modern app coming? [Solid, both will coexists]

dwk
dwk
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

With the launch of windows 10,

1password windows modern will behave much like the current desktop version of the 1password.

I can't stop asking myself if the modern version will eventually replace the desktop version at some point.
(If that's the case I would be very glad cause the alpha version I'm using is beyond fantastic)

Can anyone shed a light on this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @dwk,

I've moved your thread from the Windows Modern app forum to the regular Windows forum as this is referring to the future of the Windows desktop app, not the Modern app.

1Password for Windows Desktop application will be not replaced but rather co-exist with the 1Password for Windows Modern app, there are a lot of restrictions placed on Modern apps that simply can't replace a desktop application that needs to integrate with several programs, even on Windows 10. It is possible to just use 1Password for Modern app without taking advantages of all its features such as auto-type, browser integrations, and so on.

It also may be possible in the future versions of Windows, Modern or Universal apps would gain more powers to the point that the desktop app could be replaced but it is unlikely without major changes to the OS to protect against these apps first.

This discussion has been closed.