1Password opens in upper left corner of screen, partially hidden

The 1Password "vault" has begun appearing, partially hidden, on the upper left hand corner of my screen. I am unable to use it, as the upper part of the vault is out of sight, above the top of the window. It is completely ineffective now, as the web page I am opening continues to function without using 1Password at all. The only way I can get it off the screen is to go to Task Manager and "End Task" for 1Password, which is totally unacceptable. What can I do to get it to appear centered on the screen?

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
Extension Version: 4.2.1
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @TraderBill0215,

Am I correct to assume you're using Firefox and you're seeing 1Password menu being stuck on screen, no matter what you do?

Are you clicking on the 1Password icon in the browser or selecting the shortcut, Control + \?

• TraderBill0215
    TraderBill0215
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

I'm using Chrome. Here's what happens: when I open a web page that I've selected for 1Password protection, the 1Password "vault" image, until recently, opened in the center of the screen, where I can enter my vault password. Now it has begun appearing at the upper left corner of the screen, with only the lower right quarter of the vault image visible. I can't grab and move it with the cursor, and not enough of the line for entering the password shows on screen to be able to enter it and click on "Unlock". It stays there until I go to Task Manager and select 1Password and then click on "end task".

But I may be doing this all wrong. What I have discovered since this began occurring is that I can go to the 1Password desktop shortcut, click on the 1Password file, find the URL I want in the list of protected sites and right-click and "open" it that way, which accomplishes what I need for entering a password-protected web page. The "vault" image does not appear at all. I'll try to attach an image of what I'm seeing.

Bottom line: I've developed a work-around. But any hints would be helpful. I guess I don't yet fully understand the functionality of 1Password. Thanks for your assistance.

• TraderBill0215
    TraderBill0215
    Community Member

Here's what it looks like:

• Thanks for that screen shot. I'm not sure why you would be getting only the lower quarter of the 1Password prompt. Can you try reinstalling the 1Password Chrome extension -

• Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar - the icon is 3 lines, on the far right.
    • Click Tools.
    • Select Extensions.
    • Click the trash can icon to the right of the extension you'd like to completely remove.
    • A confirmation dialog appears, click Remove.
    • To install - from the 1Password app, select Preferences, Browsers, Install Browser Extensions.
    • Click on 'Show All Extensions' on the left side.
    • Click on Install under Chrome.

Please let us know if this helps.

• Hi @TraderBill0215,

In addition of trying Laura's suggestion, can you tell me if you have more than one monitor? It looks as if 1Password got confused and put itself on a separate monitor. It might happen if you disconnect or re-connect an external monitor if for an example, you're using a laptop.

• TraderBill0215
    TraderBill0215
    Community Member

Thanks for the suggestions. To answer the last question first, yes I do use 2 monitors. After the most recent reboot, the problem has not appeared again. Also, I've found that the entire 1Password program works better if I open it separately, then double-click on the web page I want to go to, rather than opening the web page in my browser and having the 1Password prompt appear. Maybe this is just a steeper learning curve on this software than I thought it would be.

• Hi @TraderBill0215,

After the most recent reboot, the problem has not appeared again.

That's great to hear. It sounds like maybe an isolated Windows glitch with its window management.

Also, I've found that the entire 1Password program works better if I open it separately, then double-click on the web page I want to go to, rather than opening the web page in my browser and having the 1Password prompt appear. Maybe this is just a steeper learning curve on this software than I thought it would be.

It should be vis versa, doing it in the browser is more accurate than doing it from the main program.

Are you using the Control + \ keyboard shortcut to fill in your data? Or are we talking about the overall experience of opening your sites, rather than filling in your data? In this case, the main program might be easier and quicker but you can do the same in the browser.

When you're in the browser, you can press Control + Alt + \ keyboard shortcut to bring up the 1Password menu and start typing for the site you want to open, 1Password will refresh to show you the results it found and you can then select them to open and fill the site for you.

• TraderBill0215
    TraderBill0215
    Community Member

Thanks, everyone -- all the suggestions are very helpful. The "CTRL+Alt+\" is great -- I'll use it from now on.

• You're welcome! If there's anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.