I require a local server option, not cloud or WiFi for local users.

I see a lot of sync options that involve "cloud" options but cannot find anything for a local "server" based option so that internal users can access a database of passwords only on the local network. Does your product offer an option to sync like this?

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows Server 2012 R2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• toddgile0711
    toddgile0711
    Community Member

I see a lot of sync options that involve "cloud" options but cannot find anything for a local "server" based option so that internal users can access a database of passwords only on the local network. Does your product offer an option to sync like this?

• @toddgile0711 - 1Password for Windows can be configured with a folder on a local or removable drive (e.g. external hard drive or USB flash drive). Configuring it with a network volume may cause problems if the device goes offline. If you have a number of users needing to access the same database you are best to stay with a sync solution. You can use Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, and a few more examples are listed here .

• MikeT
    edited June 2015

Hi @toddgile0711,

Just to clarify, there is no server or groupware edition of 1Password, 1Password isn't currently designed for this situation. Instead, you share a vault between employees or departments and they can use 1Password installed on their side to decrypt it once they know the password to the vault. In other words, the only thing you need to host is the data vault that your users download into their local drive.

For this, you can deploy to have the vault copied to their drive or use a local sync tool to bi-directionally sync the data between the server and clients.

We are aware that many companies would like to have a groupware version of 1Password and we'll consider it in the future.

• jonasschoen
    jonasschoen
    Community Member

Hi,

I'm also looking for a password manager for my work environment. We use Windows and we would like to sync the keychain with our local server. Is there a folder sync option for the Windows version like explained here for the Mac version? If yes do you know a tool for syncing a local folder to the server?

Kind regards,
    Jonas

• That's a tough one, @jonasschoen.

1Password 4 for Windows essentially always performs a folder sync because unlike the Mac version, it doesn't have a local database, but write directly to the 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault file.

This isn't the problem. Finding a server solution is difficult. 1Password doesn't support syncing solutions other than the ones we offer. We've heard that customers have had a measure of success using Bittorrent Sync and we're looking into adding more syncing options in the future.

What makes this situation complicated, is that you're syncing complex encrypted data. You server solution would have to handle simlutaneous access requests and sync conflicts.

How are you planning to sync the data?

This discussion has been closed.